Level up here
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

by noiseredux Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 am

Y'know how you said that your first hour was mostly grinding? Well, that's what most of your future hours will be as well. :D

I have a serious love/hate relationship with Phantasy Star II. But I love it way more than I hate it, so keep at it. I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:33 pm

noiseredux wrote:Y'know how you said that your first hour was mostly grinding? Well, that's what most of your future hours will be as well. :D

I have a serious love/hate relationship with Phantasy Star II. But I love it way more than I hate it, so keep at it. I'll be looking forward to reading about your progress.

I'm not sure what I hate more about that game; the grinding or the dungeons with that stupid pipe maze on top to create PARALLAX!!!
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:25 pm

noiseredux wrote:Y'know how you said that your first hour was mostly grinding? Well, that's what most of your future hours will be as well. :D

Yep. PSII is basically “Grinding: The Game”. I know it’s a classic, but I just didn’t enjoy it.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:55 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yep. PSII is basically “Grinding: The Game”. I know it’s a classic, but I just didn’t enjoy it.

+1

But, enjoy the tunes. Phantasy Star II has some AMAZING music!!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Phantasy Star II is a lot like the first two Dragon Quest games. The brilliant and charming aesthetics are what make the experience (somewhat?) worthwhile; the actual gameplay is a completely brutal slog.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Phantasy Star II is a lot like the first two Dragon Quest games. The brilliant and charming aesthetics are what make the experience (somewhat?) worthwhile; the actual gameplay is a completely brutal slog.

I think that's fair.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:51 am

Phantasy Star II, update II (Spoilers ahead!):

So, a productive session yesterday - I finally cleared my levelling goals, and went on some journeys. I then explored the ruins of Shure looking for the 'scoundrels' from before. Unfortunately, I found them all to be very dead when I got there.

One of them had a ransom note which was to be sent to a girl named Teim's father, who is the guy blocking the bridge from before. It said something like 'we have your daughter Teim, send us 50,000 meseta by next month for her release'. Just throwing it out there, but if this random dude had the note, then it probably hadn't been sent yet.... so how did her dad know he needed to go rob people, as he's doing now? Either it's a plot hole or he's just a dick anyway and it had nothing to do with her kidnapping.

Also, I suspect I was overlevelled, because I cleared this first dungeon without using any healing items. It wasn't all that bad, the enemies were the same stuff I'd been fighting to level up outside.

After Shure, I bought some super expensive Ceramic Daggers for Rudo, after which I went to a place called Nido just to the south. This is where Teim was apparently being held. This place was a bit tougher, but the enemies give decent money so that was nice. I actually died once to some 'Blaster' enemies on the top floor who are WAY more powerful than anything else at this point. They have triple the health and their attacks do like 20 damage to the whole party instead of 3-8 damage to one character like everything else in the dungeon. On my second trip I got through and found Teim though. No idea where all the other women from the town went though - they weren't dead in Shure and they weren't captured in Nido like Teim was.

After Nido, I took Teim to meet her father at the north bridge. She ran up to meet him with her face covered (because apparently people might be angry at her for getting kidnapped and her dad turning to crime? IDK) and he tried to rob her. When she refused to be robbed he killed her, then realised it was his daughter and killed himself too, with an explosion. Erm...OK? That must be pretty messy for my party to witness. Also, wow game, way to be a dick to Teim. First her home town is blown up, she's kidnapped, locked away in a tower full of monsters, rescued by people who treat her as an object (genuinely, she takes an item slot up when you rescue her!), then she finds her father, then she dies. Also, my party don't seem to care much. They're just like 'this is just one of many tragedies befalling the world right now'. Wow guys. You've just been travelling with this girl, way to grieve. They just seem to be like 'hooray, the bridge is clear! Lets ignored the exploded viscera of this young girl and her father as we cross it to our next adventure!'

Which is what I did, and found another town. I've been told that new towns = new party members in the starting area, so I immediately walked into town, then back out and to the first town of the game once more, where a girl named Amy joined the team. She's a doctor which means she's the white mage of the game - low attack, defence, speed and HP, but decent MP and a selection of healing spells. Of course, she's level 1, so guess what that means...

I've just finished up grinding again - Amy is now level 7, Rolf (or GRAM, as I named him) and Rudo are about level 9 or 10, and Nei is level 18 or so (she levels up twice as fast but is actually not very strong). I used Nido to level up a bit quicker since enemies are stronger there, and they give good money so now I can afford 2 more ceramic daggers to give to either Gram or Amy. Onwards to the next adventure I need to grind for!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 am

see, the non-grind stuff - that's the stuff I love about this game. The charm.

As for me, I'm thinking I might be starting Final Fantasy Adventure, or Secret Of Mana soon. The former is a childhood favorite, and the latter is a classic that I've been meaning to play since the early 90's.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 am

noiseredux wrote:see, the non-grind stuff - that's the stuff I love about this game. The charm.

As y'all know I mostly emulate games now (currently using my RetroFreak) and I utilize the fast forward function for grinding purposes. I used to look at emulation functions like that as "cheating" but my god it makes it so much more bearable.

Oh, Secret of Mana = 10/10 game. Soooooo good.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:24 am

The Sega Classics collection on switch also has a fast forward function, so I will admit I have been using that for grinding. It only seems to increase the speed a little bit though, maybe 50 % faster, so it still takes a while.
Return to RPG