RPG Progress Report

Level up here
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by bmoc »

Xeogred wrote:For this do you mean for combos outside of the Chain Attack?

So wait, are you talking about the elemental graph at the top right? So level 1 art attacks won't keep it going?

You got it. Blade combos happen outside chain attacks. Completed blade combos boost the potency of chain attacks through elemental bursts.

Also you can tell the level of blade special your party members can do by the number of tiny white orbs circling their portraits. I am not sure if that is explained in game. I had to look it up.

Lastly you can extend the blade combo timer bar by performing driver combos. Break > Topple > Launch > Smash. The more you do of that sequence, the more the timer is extended. Useful if you need a little extra time to up the blade special level to continue a blade combo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

marurun wrote:I can only assume that I am good enough for shoes! Noise, get with it! Shoes rock!

Actually, I'm imagining Marurun the sorceror was probably originally some hairy homeless dude living under a bridge and people mistook him for a troll. And then Ack hired him into the party for the hefty salary of a pair of new, warm boots.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Don't worry, Marurun, you got your boots.

Might and Magic VI - I have now managed to clear the Goblinwatch dungeon, which earned me enough experience and gold to build up a few more tricks. Ack is now an expect in body building, Marurun an expert at identifying items, and Noise an expert at meditating, which is how he keeps from crying. The combination of new levels and gear also enabled me to move into the group of mages to the southeast and wipe out their camp, thus clearing the last enemies on the peninsula the first town is located on. I can still see more foes on a nearby island, but I currently lack the means to get there.

Instead, I have now headed to the abandoned temple, another dungeon just outside the starting area. This dungeon is full of nasty critters which can inflict poison and disease, so I find I have to flee more often due to status ailments than anything else. But there are multiple quests involved in clearing out the temple halls, so I continue to throw the party against the hordes of bats, snakes, and spiders within.

It also helps that I have slowly but surely gotten nearly everyone properly geared up. Now I need to focus on increasing levels of combat and magic skills to better handle the threats I face. Once I get through the temple, I expect I will be heading on to the next major area of the game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ha, double post!

Might and Magic VI - The abandoned temple is proving tougher than I expected, not because the enemies are difficult, but because they come in large amounts and drop status effects like crazy. I'm constantly having to pull back due to someone getting diseased or poisoned. Spells that could heal this would be great in the early game, but I suppose that is just part of the artificial challenge. I've also been playing only in real time mode, but I'm thinking of swapping to turn based for combat situations, at least to ping enemies from afar when I encounter a group. This will hopefully cut down on contact, resulting in fewer status changes.

Meanwhile, the party continues to progress. Both Ack and Popo are at a point where they can reach Expert level with their weapons, though I must find a trainer first. Noise is now an expert in Body Magic, so his healing game has been upped. Marurun is now an expert with Fire Magic, enabling greater damage output. Progression plans are as follows: Ack will get more points in his shield skill until he can reach Expert level. Popo will start upgrading his dagger, leather armor, and Air Magic skills. Noise will increase his repair skill. Marurun must next become an expert in meditation to improve his spell points, because he is a useful cannon and I need him to last longer with his casting.

So, those of you reading this...are you interested in my breaking down my experiences in the game this way? I'm happy to continue, and I hope whatever insights I'm gaining prove beneficial to anyone else who might take an interest in playing. I realize it's not the funny stories I sometimes go into. But if there is something else you would like me to focus on and discuss about my experience with M&M VI, I am happy to try and oblige.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I enjoy reading these, so I vote you keep going.

I'm still slowly playing through the DS translation of Saga 2. I'm having real issues with monster evolutions. My monster character is really lagging behind the rest of the party. Kinda regretting having a monster right now. I need to find the giant kingdom, somehow, but I'm not sure where I'm going, so I've mostly been excavating and grinding to find a useful or powerful monster evolution.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:I enjoy reading these, so I vote you keep going.

I'm still slowly playing through the DS translation of Saga 2. I'm having real issues with monster evolutions. My monster character is really lagging behind the rest of the party. Kinda regretting having a monster right now. I need to find the giant kingdom, somehow, but I'm not sure where I'm going, so I've mostly been excavating and grinding to find a useful or powerful monster evolution.

Monsters are a super hard class to use in the first two SaGa games (in the third they're just underpowered with no way to get better). The transformation mechanic is arcane but can be exploited to get a crazy power boost. If you want to keep using the monster I'd recommend you look into a monster FAQ.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Wait, you mean I should just randomly eat monster meat and hope I stumble onto something awesome purely by accident?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yes, ask! Keep going! I love the older might and magic gsmes, but always struggled to get anywhere so I am happy to live vicariously through you!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:Wait, you mean I should just randomly eat monster meat and hope I stumble onto something awesome purely by accident?

If you're not looking at a guide, yes. But there's a big chart you can find that will show you what you will get if you eat a particular piece of meat given your current class. The basic way it works is that every monster belongs to a family. If a monster of family A eats meat of family B then it will always generate a monster of family C. The specific monster in the family is determined by a formula that involves the rank of each monster involved, with then some logic for there not being a monster of that specific rank (which is fairly common). So you can get something awesome by exploiting that last fact.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, cool, glad you guys are enjoying what I write as I explore.

Now for the big question: does my writing about these WRPGs/CRPGs make you want to play them?