RPG Progress Report

Level up here
Ack

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by Ack »

Ok, progress has slowed to a crawl in Wild Arms 3. So I've beaten all of the Disasters now and have finished 55/99 fights with Arioch. I'm at the point where the only stuff left is for sidequests, and they take forever. Frankly, I'm really bored, and the remaining stuff interests me as a challenge, but it's more a matter of time than anything else. Except for the Abyss that is, but that will also be extremely time consuming. I want to complete this game, but I also want to just beat it and move on to something else.
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

Post by ConsoleHandheldGamer »

Final Fantasy VII - got to just beyond the Golden Saucer and stopped

Final Fantasy IX - just at the Iifa tree

Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King - I think I have to go to Wisher's Hill

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - going to northern cave

Star Ocean: Second Evolution - just got a Rynard

Magical Starsign - just beat the gummy girl and haven't played this in ages

Ys: The Oath in Felghana - exploring the Elderm Mountains

Rogue Galaxy - in chapter 6

Cthulhu Saves The World - going to the ghost forest after beating the fire whale in the swamp of despair

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - just got to Ayuthay, planning on getting all the djinn

Opoona - going to the chemistry lab

Pokemon Colosseum - just a few hours into it

Secret of Mana - just got the girl party member

Shadow Hearts: Covenant - not far into it, going back to Donremy

Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call - just beat Forneus

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - still near the start on the ship, have to get to the life pods

Tales of Eternia - just got Undine

There are some I've started and barely played, like Torchlight, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Disgaea DS, Bastion, Contact, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Etrian Odyssey, Evil Quest, Final Fantasy II, Infinite Space, Mana Khemia: Student Alliance, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus, Phantasy Star Portable 2, Shadow Hearts: From The New World, and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth.

And others I would like to start, Breath of Fire III, Costume Quest, Deus Ex: Game of the Year, Final Fantasy VI, Kingdom Hearts, The Last Remnant, The Last Story, Lost Odyssey, Nier, Odin Sphere, Penny Arcade Adventures 1 & 2, Resonance of Fate, Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Shining Force, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Tales of Vesperia, Ultima VII, Valkyria Chronicles, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Hmm I have a few rpgs I've lost interest in, but I get to those last. Firstly,

Secret of Mana - In the fire temple right now, but I can't help but feel very much under leveled at 23. I love the game but I usually have to be in a certain mood to play it. Lots of grinding.

Ys II eternal - Stuck in one of the early boss fights, maybe the second dungeon (can't remember for sure) but the boss plays just like it was in a shump.

Star Ocean Second Story - I plan to continue this game at some point, but the battle system is pretty dated. I have been enjoying the characters, story and the score is generally well done as well.

Brain Lord - I'd like to continue this action rpg at some point, its just so damn hard.

Lost interest:

Illusion of Gaia - I've been stuck on the larai gliff boss or whatever, but I'm quiting the game because I've completely lost interest in the story.

Final Fantasy IX - lost interest after nearly beating the game (boss fortress). Lost interest because the VERY odd characters and the random battles also got to annoying. Too much grinding too.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Finally put another dent in Xenoblade. 60 hours, level 65, at Agniratha now. I want to imagine this is the final run?
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

In Secret of Mana, my girlfriend and I managed to acquire the gnome magic and beat the boss of the second temple. We just barely won the fight without having anyone dead. I had to use all mana, all candy, and all resurrections.

Combat feels so chaotic, like I have no control who gets hits. It's also very strange to have three characters, but only one can attack at a time. The game has become more interesting with magic, so the other characters usually have something to do.

The story is all over the place. I can see clearly that the translation suffered horribly from time and space constraints. It often feels like they tried to cram a paragraph of text into one sentence. There is no clear indication of where to go or what to do next. The sprite randomly mentions the Upper Land, but I am pretty sure I'm supposed to go somewhere else. Also, it's good that the game came with a printed map, because the overworld is a jumbled mess with no clear direction.

I'm surprised this game is so highly regarded. It's definitely third-tier quality for me so far.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

The game is getting very linear at this point as the prince can't wait a minute to get his hands on the Sarcophagus. So he sent me to the Society of Leopold (An inquisition of sorts, vampire hunters) to talk with some guy.

The strongholded was surprisingly easy to infiltrate because the guards are bugged and they couldn't see me even if they were directly aiming at me. They heard my noise and looked to me, stepped on my toes and shouted "WHO'S THERE, WHO'S THERE, WHO'S THERE" all the time. So I didn't have any problems, really.

Then I got a beat'em up mission: Get into the Sabbat (Evil-er vampires) and kill them. It's not too interesting, just move and shoot everything that moves. There are humans here and there so you can regain health, which felt very forced :lol:

I'm worried I might run out of useful bullets, though. And that's considering I don't miss and I bought all the bullets you can carry.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Zing wrote:Combat feels so chaotic, like I have no control who gets hits. It's also very strange to have three characters, but only one can attack at a time. The game has become more interesting with magic, so the other characters usually have something to do.

Yeah, the battle system is very raw in this game. The sequel vastly improves on it.

I'm surprised this game is so highly regarded. It's definitely third-tier quality for me so far.

I'd say it's very much a "you had to be there" thing. It stands apart from other SNES RPGs with the combat system, and there's a fairly deep story in it; you just have to carefully read all the dialog and read beyond te surface due to the aformentioned translation constraints.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Carefully read is correct. You miss one sentence and you won't have any idea what the hell's going on or where to go.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I don't know what to say. Dissing my SoM is almost offensive. :lol: , story wise I won't put it above Chrono Trigger or FFVI... but I don't hesitate nowadays to just simply say, I like SoM more. The OST is definitely one of the best in the world I'd say, it completely sinks you into its world... topped off with the really colorful and elegant graphics (best temples ever), just makes you feel like you're living out an amazing fairy tale. SD3 improves upon everything tenfold gameplay wise and sports some of the best graphics on the SNES bar none, and I just can't believe how much it destroys Legend of Mana... it's hard to believe SD3 is on an SNES cart. Every single time I've gotten a new PC or reformatted, etc, the first game I'd download would be SD3. I've replayed both countless times throughout the years. 10 years later and SD3 still has one of the best boards on GameFAQ's.

These two along with Secret of Evermore, I'd say are some of my favorite battle systems ever and there's just sadly nothing else out there really quite like them. It was the perfect blend of everything.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I'm playing through Dust:An Elysian Tail, which is an action rpg in the vein of recent 2D Castlevania titles. It's got platforming and solid beat 'em up gameplay, but the emphasis is strongly on the rpg elements. I levelled up my character a bit and started destroying rank and file enemies with ease.

It's a fun game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.