Level up here
MrPopo

Re: RPG Progress Report

by MrPopo Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'd rather not be spoiled myself but it just feels like your own fault for not getting to that stuff that's been out for awhile. lol

Is it really reasonable to expect everybody to have played every single RPG released in the past 25+ years?

No, but there's a general understanding that if someone hasn't experienced a work within 5 years or so that they aren't allowed to get mad if a plot point is spoiled for them. That isn't just for video games; books and movies are like that too.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm

MrPopo wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I'd rather not be spoiled myself but it just feels like your own fault for not getting to that stuff that's been out for awhile. lol

Is it really reasonable to expect everybody to have played every single RPG released in the past 25+ years?

No, but there's a general understanding that if someone hasn't experienced a work within 5 years or so that they aren't allowed to get mad if a plot point is spoiled for them. That isn't just for video games; books and movies are like that too.

I feel the same way about that stuff too. Why should people be expected to have seen/read/played everything ever?

I mean it's not like it's hard to avoid blurting out major plot twists, etc for stuff without warning, even old stuff.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm almost to the third disc in FFIX; that means I'm almost back to where I was before I lost my PS1 memory card!
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:28 pm

MrPopo wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Except when you are on forums literally filled with people who are currently playing through old content for the first time, in a thread specifically created for people to post about their first time playing through old content.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Zing wrote:Except when you are on forums literally filled with people who are currently playing through old content for the first time, in a thread specifically created for people to post about their first time playing through old content.

Except this thread isn't that. This is specifically for people to post their progress with spoilers. It's spelled out in the first post.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 am

If you've been reading the thread, you are aware the discussion is not triggered by someone reporting any progress in a game of theirs.

I have been watching this thread for a while because, hey, I like seeing what people are playing. When someone is talking about a game I don't want spoiled, I just skip that post. It's hard to avoid when someone just blurts out "snape kills dumbledore" as they drive by.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 am

The point still stands. This is the big thread 'o spoilers. Whether the particular poster was playing the game at the time when he made the spoiler is immaterial. Even your policy of skipping over posts about games you don't want spoiled is flawed, as depending on the post you can get spoiled before you realize what game the post is about. And the thread itself starts off with drive by spoilers to emphasize the point.

This thread will remain spoiler-full. You visit it at your own risk.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 am

Zing wrote:If you've been reading the thread, you are aware the discussion is not triggered by someone reporting any progress in a game of theirs.

I have been watching this thread for a while because, hey, I like seeing what people are playing. When someone is talking about a game I don't want spoiled, I just skip that post. It's hard to avoid when someone just blurts out "snape kills dumbledore" as they drive by.

As uncool as that sort of comment is in general, Ack gives three "snape kills dumbledore" in the very first post:

Ack wrote:Sephiroth kills Aeris, the beginning of Lufia 2 is the end of Lufia, and Rena is from another planet. The decision to protect others who might want to play from the major plot points is admirable, but it also hampers discussion...so if you don't want anything ruined, you might just want to avoid this thread.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 am

well, since this thread is mostly just bickering about Spoiler Tags now, I guess I can still look at it. :roll:

Look, I can understand the points brought up but I just want to point out that the spoiler that started this whole thing was not because a member was freely posting his progress. It's because I said something like "I'm playing Phantasy Star 2 and really enjoying it!" and Kola said something like "Nei dies." Now I understand Kola wasn't doing this to intentionally spoil something for me, so I'm not even mad at him. I'm just saying that this scenario is not the same thing as if I was playing it for the first time and posting my progress and saying "woah, major character just died and I'm shocked." Sure this is a thread that will be full of spoilers because of progress being posted. But how does blowing a major plot point for somebody else who's progressing help anyone?

But whatever.

The real reason I wanted to make one last post in here (as AJ pointed out, it's either chance spoilers or avoid the thread. So I guess this thread will just be for like Ack and Popo who have already played every RPG ever made) is because yes it was pointed out to me later that in the OP Ack did outright say that spoilers were cool. That said, I think the thread title should be adjusted accoringly to something like "RPG Progress Report: MAJOR SPOILERS!" because honestly, I saw "RPG Progress Report" and didn't bother to read post #1... THe title seemed pretty self-explanatory. I was just coming in to post my current progress and wasn't thinking I needed to see what game Ack was playing back when he started the thread. Much like I doubt anyone clicks on page 1 of the "Look what I found today" thread before they post their first find 100+ pages later.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Cosmic Fantasy 2

Made it through the first couple of towns and first dungeon. Recruited another character (some sorceress girl). She has a key that's gonna open the door to the next dungeon.

Damn this game is old school. Lots of grinding, and there's no indication as to what weapons are better than others (I guess the more expensive ones have better stats).

Things are "medieval" so far, but I have a hunch that I'll be headed off to space soon. Getting a Phantasy Star vibe from this one.
Return to RPG