Level up here
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

by o.pwuaioc Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:16 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
Stark wrote:
Zing wrote:On a serious note, this is a retro site and people will be playing old games that are new to them. Why not have some respect?

Because in the OP it says he'd like to have a thread where he can discuss anything in RPGs openly without spoiler tagging.

Did we have spoiler tags when the OP was made?

We did. We got the spoiler tags back at the end of 2011. It seems clear that spoilers are perfectly acceptable here, which is why Ack put a few of them in op himself.

" Sephiroth kills Aeris, the beginning of Lufia 2 is the end of Lufia, and Rena is from another planet."
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:23 pm

I believe there is a critical difference between "I am playing this game and I can't believe a major character just died!" and "btw, that dude dies in that game".
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Idk I guess I just don't see why putting spoiler tags up is a big deal. People who don't mind spoilers/know the game already can easily read what you have to say, and people looking to avoid that stuff can easily skip over it. Win/win.

Only thing you gain from not using spoiler tags is not having to type 19 characters.

Whatever though I guess.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 pm

it's fine. Lesson learned. Will just not participate in this thread any longer to avoid spoilers.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

I intended for us to be able to discuss these games openly and frankly. Let's face it, it's nigh impossible to have an open discussion on anything if we were limited from referring to things because of an erroneous belief that it is so sacred as to not be spoken of out of fear that someone hasn't gotten there yet. How could one have a talk on film or literature without occasionally spoiling a plot point, especially if one is discussing a particular strand of narrative ideas or devices across multiple works? So instead of sitting back and censoring our thoughts or posts to prevent someone from accidentally stumbling across information about a game that has been on the market for years, why not just say "screw it" and have the conversation anyway? That was partially the purpose of this thread.

Besides, the purpose of a game is the journey and the experience that the player draws from it. To be able to discuss and share these experiences openly, we cannot limit what we can say.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Ack wrote:I intended for us to be able to discuss these games openly and frankly. Let's face it, it's nigh impossible to have an open discussion on anything if we were limited from referring to things because of an erroneous belief that it is so sacred as to not be spoken of out of fear that someone hasn't gotten there yet. How could one have a talk on film or literature without occasionally spoiling a plot point, especially if one is discussing a particular strand of narrative ideas or devices across multiple works? So instead of sitting back and censoring our thoughts or posts to prevent someone from accidentally stumbling across information about a game that has been on the market for years, why not just say "screw it" and have the conversation anyway? That was partially the purpose of this thread.

Besides, the purpose of a game is the journey and the experience that the player draws from it. To be able to discuss and share these experiences openly, we cannot limit what we can say.

The problem with that idea for me is that this thread is about any and all RPGs, and whilst I may be willing to engage in a discussion about Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy and Xenoblade, I'd still be miffed to see spoilers for The Last Story or Jeanne d'Arc because I've not got around to playing those yet. I have no way of knowing what I'm gonna see, so I have no choice but to risk it or ignore the thread totally. The advantage of spoilers is that I can know not to participate on a discussion if it's about a game I'm yet to play, but still get to particpate in discussion about others I've enjoyed..
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:58 pm

Might be silly but also ideal to have two separate threads for this then... one for newer games and another for older stuff? I can't really fault people for spoiling stuff that's been out several gens back, I'd rather not be spoiled myself but it just feels like your own fault for not getting to that stuff that's been out for awhile. lol
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Xeogred wrote:I'd rather not be spoiled myself but it just feels like your own fault for not getting to that stuff that's been out for awhile. lol

Is it really reasonable to expect everybody to have played every single RPG released in the past 25+ years?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm

No but that's how I feel about it personally, I just don't get as upset over spoilers of older games compared to newer stuff most of the time. Maybe I'm silly.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:09 am

That argument is esential saying to only participate in this thread if you are willing to have important plot points spoiled for you. Who would willingly do that? Why would anyone participate? It seems rather odd since the thread appear to be aimed toward people who have large backlogs of RPGs!

It also seems trivial to use the spoiler tags. Not using them for minor events seems acceptable, but major things such as character deaths or plot twists seem like the whole reason for the tag to exist.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Return to RPG