RPG Progress Report

Level up here
MrPopo

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by MrPopo »

Such quality. I've taken my Knight, Paladin, Archer, Sorcerer party into the abandoned temple a few times, rescued the girl, but there's still a lot to do in there. And I haven't cleared all the countryside around New Sorpigal.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

How are you approaching combat? Are you going with real-time or swapping to turn-based when you can?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

All turn based all the time. It's too good.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hey Popo, let me give you a word of advice: get a magic user to mastery level in Water Magic as quickly as you can. Most of your key mobility spells are Water Magic, so Lloyd's Beacon, Walk on Water, and Town Portal. And most of them aren't worth their salt until you become a master.

Also, since you brought a Paladin instead of a Cleric, get him to learn Spirit, Mind, and Body Magic. Your various status cures are spread across all three, but I find Spirit has the key buffs like Bless and Heroism, while Body has your best healing spells. I believe Spirit also controls some resurrection magic.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I usually go for the flying spell myself. I didn't even remember there was town portal spell or lloyd's beacon in MM6. I do tend to use them on MM8 but i don't really recall using them on MM6. Personally i tend to switch between the modes when i replay these games. Both modes have their advantages.

Anyways. It's great to see others give MM6 love. It's one of my personal favorites.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Kuruwin wrote:Anyways. It's great to see others give MM6 love. It's one of my personal favorites.

Same!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:Hey Popo, let me give you a word of advice: get a magic user to mastery level in Water Magic as quickly as you can. Most of your key mobility spells are Water Magic, so Lloyd's Beacon, Walk on Water, and Town Portal. And most of them aren't worth their salt until you become a master.

Also, since you brought a Paladin instead of a Cleric, get him to learn Spirit, Mind, and Body Magic. Your various status cures are spread across all three, but I find Spirit has the key buffs like Bless and Heroism, while Body has your best healing spells. I believe Spirit also controls some resurrection magic.

I'm actually debating rerolling into a KKCS team, and trying to blitz to Light and Dark. I haven't really been a fan of how the magic scaling has been going, and those two have some amazing buffs in them.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I've been playing Hydlide II -- on legit hardware.

I'm mostly derping around. The game is very good -- it's also very hard. There's an alignment system that's easy to screw up and can royally bone your progress.

You know what I find fascinating about this game? It has a save battery. I believe it's the first cartridge to feature one. It most certainly predates The Legend of Zelda, which is almost always credited as being first (MSX Hydlide II was released in 1986). Additionally, Morita Shogi by Seta (Famicom) also had the battery before Zelda. Don't believe every "game history" fact you stumble across.

So, guess what else I have on MSX...

Oh dear. This version is rough. Massive passwords, indicating direction whenever talking to an NPC... Could things get any worse?

Yup.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:indicating direction whenever talking to an NPC...

The Famicom original is like that too. Dragon Warrior on the NES was a pretty significantly enhanced version of Dragon Quest. Unfortunate that it sounds like the MSX version didn't get the same work.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Could things get any worse?

Yup.

I hope you're enjoying dodging Fuujin and Raijin while your spirit is rising to heaven. If you're like me, you won't even get that far, though.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Might and Magic VI

I spent a good chunk of time on this over the weekend, which didn't exactly thrill my fiancee (yes, I recently got engaged), but we did some other important stuff together too, so she let me off the hook about it. I managed to get through so much that a simple breakdown of every dungeon I explored simply isn't going to cut it, so I will give a more general approach instead.

First, I'm now brushing up against more end-of-game type enemies: Cuisinarts, Minotaur Kings, even my first dragon, which I chose to avoid instead of face because it is in a bad spot to fight. Even the nasty 1-hit-KO Greater Werewolves don't hold a candle to these kinds of threats. I've also managed to take on a few lower level demons, but just a few; the main introduction to demons is a quest I'm only just now getting around to.

I do still have a good number of guests to complete, but I've definitely knocked out the vast majority of the side and job stuff in the game. The main storyline, not so much, but there are stumbling blocks where specific spells are required or puzzles must be figured out that have led me to leave and come back later. There were also a few that had time requirements, but I think I'm done with those.

Because of the toughness of my enemies, I'm back to relying on offensive spells to do damage while bow-users focus on thinking out weaker targets and stragglers. Bows lose pace after a while because they stop getting damage increases, though getting a mastery in them will help by causing an occasional double arrow. Swords have the same problem, though you will keep finding nicer swords, at least moreso than bows and crossbows. Conversely, axes get damage bonuses at Mastery level that keeps them viable for longer. I'd swap to using two, but shields give such a nice increase to AC, I prefer keeping Ack an absurdly tough tank.

Marurun and Noise have both been forced to spread the love with spells, though I have pumped them up to mastery levels in a couple of schools. Popo is a master of Air Magic too, so I have a good mix of offensive and defensive casting, and Marurun can use town portal to get me out of nasty fights.

Job-wise, I've wrapped up the entire first level for all six classes(you get bonus xp and gold even if you don't have the class, so no downside to doing quests for those classes you don't have). I'm almost done with the second round, though the last Paladin promotion involves slaying a named dragon. Not looking forward to that.

Work Completed

Council Quests: 4/7
Promotion Quests: 11/12
Sidequests: 20/26
Obelisks Found: 5/15
Sections of world map visited: 10/15