RPG Progress Report

Level up here
marurun

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by marurun »

I tried playing Secret of Mana on my SNES Classic and got frustrated with the janky combat. I haven't even got magic, yet, and I'm already annoyed at the hit detection and how ineffective any attack that isn't 100% is.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I say you play FFA then SoM for the full Seiken Densetsu progression.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I say you just play Final Fantasy Adventure which is a way better game. Secret of Mana is far less essential in my eyes, even though I thought it was OK.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Now you're talking heresy. SoM is awesome if you take the 15 minutes to actually learn the mechanics.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

marurun wrote:I tried playing Secret of Mana on my SNES Classic and got frustrated with the janky combat. I haven't even got magic, yet, and I'm already annoyed at the hit detection and how ineffective any attack that isn't 100% is.

That's just how it be. The game has rigid focused combat mechanics. Try to play it like Zelda and you're in for a bad time.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:Now you're talking heresy. SoM is awesome if you take the 15 minutes to actually learn the mechanics.

I did, and I beat it. I still think the GB original is a much better experience.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
marurun wrote:I tried playing Secret of Mana on my SNES Classic and got frustrated with the janky combat. I haven't even got magic, yet, and I'm already annoyed at the hit detection and how ineffective any attack that isn't 100% is.

That's just how it be. The game has rigid focused combat mechanics. Try to play it like Zelda and you're in for a bad time.

No reason you should try and play it like Zelda; Zelda isn't an RPG and SoM is.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have to go with AJ on this one. The GB precursor just has a better, more immediate play feel. Sure, the graphics and music aren't up to Secret of Mana, but how could they be on the GB? Still, the game feels better at the mechanical level, and that's what's most important.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Secret of Mana should really be the black sheep of the series. It's easily the worst of the first four games. Seiken Densetsu 3, and especially Legend of Mana, are much better Mana games. I have a soft spot for Final Fantasy Adventure, because it's one of the first Game Boy games I owned and beat, but I, admittedly, have not played it since I was young. Still would play it again before even looking at Secret of Mana again, if I had a good way to play the Japanese version.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Classic Secret of Mana haters on RB. :evil: :roll: :lol:

Impeccable masterpiece in my book. And SD3 has my favorite ARPG combat system of all time. They ditch the charging for something better. The charging in SoM is goofy and I'd change that if I could, but put the game in front of me and I instantly forget about it being an issue.