RPG Progress Report

Level up here
KoLAddict
24-bit

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by KoLAddict »

I finally beat Fallout 3. Game on consoles is so buggy it's not even funny. Last 25% or so of the game I had to save constantly because of freezing.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
Ack

Post by Ack »

Wow, I think we need to form a support group. If I go a month or two without playing an RPG I was into, I generally give up on it. That seems like the best course of action. Because let's face it, you aren't likely to go back and remember much. Also, dedicate yourself to one RPG at a time. Whenever I dedicate myself to one, I try not to start any others until I've finished it. In June I picked up both Dungeons of Dredmor and Torchlight on Steam while also picking up Wild Arms 3, and I made sure to beat each one before moving onto the next. They're not complete, but I did kill the "final boss" in each.

Anyway, I advanced a little bit in Wild Arms 3. I'm sitting at 52/99 battles with Arioch, I've finished breeding 5 of the 8 plants for the Secret Garden, and I've beaten all but the Luck Disaster. I'm saving up for that EX Key in the black market, but that will take me a long time. Right now I'm mainly gunning for Arioch while saving money and breeding plants in the meantime. The Abyss is the last of the sidequests I plan to go for, mainly because of how hard I've heard it is. After that, it's onto the final boss.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Support Group Member #2 :oops:

I too, have a problem of starting RPG's and then slacking off about half way through. I've gotten better at it though, lately. I'm going to finish these (I swear!), because I hate leaving things only half done.

Pokemon Silver - I barely remember where I am at this point. I question whether or not the batter even still works in it. I'm sort of scared to find out >_<

Kingdom Hearts (don't laugh) - I know I'm about half way through. I was doing well too, but then Skyward Sword came out and I just got...sidetracked.

Final Fantasy IV Advance - Started it this summer for the Summer Challenge. I'm about 33 hours in and am about to go into the cave where Bahamut is. This one will be completed by the end of summer. And if not then, than surely not to long after it. I can feel the game starting to wind down a bit. I think I'm closing in on the end (No one discourage me by telling me otherwise!)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Haha, support group... seriously though I think this thread might motivate me to just straight up write down a list of my unfinished RPG's, so I can clear them or finish them another time around someday. It bugs me so much!

I have no idea why I do it personally. I prefer to completely finish everything... same with shows I'm watching, anime, etc. That and I still legitimately see JRPG's as one of my top favorite genres. Practically all those games I mentioned, I was really digging. I guess I just get distracted and move on too easily, or the drive kind of wares off sometimes.

I'm getting pickier and pickier with modern games now though and have an easier time saving money, haha. So definitely feels like I have more time for some older games lately.

Currently, I need to finish Dark Souls. My second curse is that I have a hard time beating sequels back to back. I blame that here since I jumped into Dark Souls right after Demon's... haha. This and Xenoblade are a pretty high priority for me... just need to sit down with them again sometime.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

For me the problem is that I'll either reach some bump in the road and get frustrated and put it down for a bit, or I'll get a new game midway through that I'm more interested in and do that instead.

Update - Right before the Exdeath fight, already beat Omega. I might try to do Shinryu, but I'd much rather have 3 more Coral Rings before trying that fight. Once I beat Exdeath I can do the bonus dungeon, then I consider it complete.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Michi wrote:Support Group Member #2 :oops:

I too, have a problem of starting RPG's and then slacking off about half way through. I've gotten better at it though, lately. I'm going to finish these (I swear!), because I hate leaving things only half done.

SGM #3
I play RPGs until there is some extra magic/building/upgrading system that is needed.
I like straight forward traditional RPGs where you find or buy weapons and equip them - rinse and repeat. I can not stand the added mini games. This is why I am stuck and gave up/took a break from:

Star Ocean: Last Hope International
- I just saved the little girl from the planet everyone was turned to stone (this may be a bad description since I havent played this since Feb)

Xenoblade Chronicles
- I dont remember where I am off the top of my head, maybe traveling to the head... I just got the two original characters from the intro to join my party.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

MrPopo wrote:For me the problem is that I'll either reach some bump in the road and get frustrated and put it down for a bit, or I'll get a new game midway through that I'm more interested in and do that instead.

Update - Right before the Exdeath fight, already beat Omega. I might try to do Shinryu, but I'd much rather have 3 more Coral Rings before trying that fight. Once I beat Exdeath I can do the bonus dungeon, then I consider it complete.

The FFIV and FFV bonus dungeons sound as long as the games themselves. lol
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

IV's bonus dungeon IS very long. Especially since you have to do it multiple times to get all the bonus weapons. Just beat Shinryu and Neo Exdeath, so time for the bonus content. I was right; you need 4x coral rings to stand a chance. Shinryu's opening Tidal Wave did 8k damage to everyone, with my health at 2k and 1.5k.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

Despite not being finished with Legend of Dragoon, I decided to finally start Secret of Mana. I have the weekend alone with the girlfriend, and I have always wanted to try it with her. I played alone until I got the sprite, then we played together. This game is a lot more difficult than I imagined. The sprite and the girl both have had quite a few deaths after getting only one or two hits on them. It's hard because I didn't have money to buy them armor when they first joined the party. After getting the sprite some armor and levelling up a bit, he was a little tougher. The girl still dies pretty quick.

It doesn't make it any easier by having the resurrect item be 300 gold, when I am usually only carrying around 400. I've used three of them so far, and had to restart the game four times!

My characters are around level 10 now and battles are still scary. It's an odd battle system. You can really only have one character attacking an enemy at a time. We finally got some magic, although the paltry 10MP each character has means we can only cast 3-4 spells before being drained.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The game can be pretty hard for a first run. You absolutely want to buy the best armor when you hit new towns though when possible. It's one of those games where even a few stat points goes a very long way.