TheRev wrote:I have this terrible Habit of not finishing RPGs

Lets see

FF VI- Sabin fight
FF-VII- Shinra Building
Chrono Trigger- The Raid on Magnus' lair
Persona 3- I don't even remember
Persona 4- 2nd thingy in the bath house
Xenogears- Caves

That's nothin', I've actually stopped playing countless RPGs while I was sitting in the final dungeon or even fighting the final boss!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Lets see

FF VI- Sabin fight
FF-VII- Shinra Building
Xenogears- Caves

Did you quit FFVI at the part where Sabin fights Vargas? That battle is a touch confusing/annoying.

I would recommend trying to finish FFVI and Chrono Trigger - look at guides if you have to. You quit Chrono Trigger at one of the best parts!
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

I finally bailed out on Breath of Fire and went back to Final Fantasy II. This is how an RPG should feel. Scenes such as the one with Edge and Cid shoving each other around on the airship are what old games are all about. I did initially miss the "auto battle" option, but I gladly trade it for battles that are actually interesting, in addition to a reasonable encounter rate. I am not exaggerating when I say that you have a random battle every three seconds in BoF. It's maddening.

Went through the sealed cave and I believe my party levelled almost 10 times just from all the trapped doors. At first they were pretty difficult, but after gaining a couple levels, I could defeat them about half the time before the monster had a chance to appear. I couldn't figure out how to stop a party member from dying within the first few moments of each door encounter, but Rosa was able to keep everyone on their feet.

I'm heading to Mysidia, but I stumbled across the cave of monsters. I beat Asura to gain her summon, but Leviathan took me down. I had my wall spells wear off unexpectedly. I'm assuming he teaches his summon once defeated.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Lets see

FF VI- Sabin fight
FF-VII- Shinra Building
Xenogears- Caves

Did you quit FFVI at the part where Sabin fights Vargas? That battle is a touch confusing/annoying.

I would recommend trying to finish FFVI and Chrono Trigger - look at guides if you have to. You quit Chrono Trigger at one of the best parts!

It's when Sabin first shows up.

I know I quit Chrono Trigger at an Awkward moment to quit Chrono Trigger. But it's like I have all these awesome RPGs I don't know which one to jump back into.

ok not FF7 even playing it years later I don't get why people are so nuts about it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

TheRev wrote:ok not FF7 even playing it years later I don't get why people are so nuts about it.

Nobody is nuts about FF7.

If you praise FF7 nowadays you have to preface it with "I know most people consider it overrated" or something.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I'll say upfront that it's a good game, no preface. I've talked about FFVII before and I don't think it should be considered one of the greatest games ever, but it's a good time.

Huge, detailed environments, awesome music, well-designed battles with cool enemies, and an intricate customization system. The number of abilities available, the way they're upgraded, and the way they influence your stats are pretty unique, allowing you to create hybrid fighters and change your team build anytime you want. Choosing between materia slots and special effects/stats is also an important decision.

It has its problems and the plot is embarrassing, but I had a lot of fun with it when I played it the first time a few years ago. Should I mention that it has the coolest world map of any JRPG ever? The submarine!!
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Phantasy Star II is really addicting. I now have a fourth party member (Amy) and have her up to lvl 7 or so and just made it to a new town (um... begins with a Z?). My main dude is lvl 11 now I believe. I've pretty much lost track of how much time I've spent -- I wish more retro RPG's logged hours.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:Phantasy Star II is really addicting. I now have a fourth party member (Amy) and have her up to lvl 7 or so and just made it to a new town (um... begins with a Z?). My main dude is lvl 11 now I believe. I've pretty much lost track of how much time I've spent -- I wish more retro RPG's logged hours.

This most addicting part of Phantasy Star II is this............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FrArZp9vHg

8)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'm really getting into Phantasy Star IV myself, I might have to hit up II next. I watched HappyConsoleGamer's review of the series and as they say, the third game definitely looks... different. Not bad but pretty detached. The first game sounds the hardest with the most grinding, and has the first person dungeons, so I dunno. I feel like I really have to be in the mood and prepared for that one haha, might save it for last. I'm kind of glad the others don't have the first person dungeons though, even though I could see fans wishing they did.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:I'm really getting into Phantasy Star IV myself, I might have to hit up II next. I watched HappyConsoleGamer's review of the series and as they say, the third game definitely looks... different. Not bad but pretty detached. The first game sounds the hardest with the most grinding, and has the first person dungeons, so I dunno. I feel like I really have to be in the mood and prepared for that one haha, might save it for last. I'm kind of glad the others don't have the first person dungeons though, even though I could see fans wishing they did.

I should watch that video. I enjoy HCG when he was on AllGenGamers, but never watched any of his videos.

The first PS was amazing. You should really play that, but play it with a guide. The dungeons are brutal. But once alleviated with maps you should get a lot of enjoyment out of the game. The music is brilliant, the story is awesome and the world is vast. It's kind of jaw-dropping just how much was in this game -- especially when you compare it to its closest peers: Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.

If I had to guess I'm about 5-6 hrs into II. So far I feel like the game imroves upon the original in a lot of technical ways, though I'm still giving the edge to the first game. Maybe it's just that the sequel can't "blow my mind" since I played the first game first or something. But that said, I am really enjoying this game and just really love the world of Phantasy Star.

I've not played III or IV, so I like the idea that I still have the opportunity to play all the mainline games in order.

Last month I got the chance to actually play PSO v2 online for the first time ever. It was so easy to lose a couple hours, haha. And there's something that really makes me happy about the fact that using dialup will still connect you to other people who hanging out in PSO lobbies a decade after its release.