Level up here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm

MrPopo wrote:Yes, the Might & Magic series was rather silly in the 1-5 era (not sure if they got more serious past that).

I am most interested in MM IX and MM X, anybody got any experience with those around here? Are they any good?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm

I've played a little bit of X. It seems to be a bit of a hybrid between 3-5 and the later entries. The game is grid based and combat is turn based; I honestly can't remember if you could see monsters walking around or not. Character development pulls from the 6 and up era, where characters have skill points they can put into different paths, like a weapon or a spell school. The setting is in the Ubisoft setting, so there's no sci fi aspects. From the amount I played it seemed reasonably good, but I also shelved it and decided to make my way through the rest of the series that I'm interested in first.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I don't think Might & Magic IX was particularly well-received. I think it was basically the end of the series until M&M X brought it back, and that game, as MrPopo notes, intentionally goes back to the older style in many ways. I think it's the only one in the series I don't currently own, though.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Kuruwin
32-bit

by Kuruwin Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 am

No one likes IX, no one. MM6-MM7 are where it's at.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am

It seems that when a classic CRPG series hits 9 it tanks. That's why I'm glad Wizardry stopped with 8.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:00 am

MrPopo wrote:It seems that when a classic CRPG series hits 9 it tanks. That's why I'm glad Wizardry stopped with 8.

You might be on to something...
Return to RPG