RPGs High on Comedy?

Level up here
MrNash
32-bit

RPGs High on Comedy?

Post by MrNash »

So, I've been playing a lot of Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier of late, and I'm really liking the lighthearted comedic story. So, I was wondering if folks here had suggestions for other RPGs with a similar vibe. I've been a tad off put by more serious storytelling lately, and the humor and how the game doesn't take itself terribly seriously has been very refreshing. Any suggestions y'all may have would be fantastic. :D
neilencio
64-bit

Re: RPGs High on Comedy?

Post by neilencio »

Deathspank, just the first one. It's not only genuinely funny, it's also very playable as it's hack-and-slash instead of turn based. It's also not heavy on the system requirements.

(I only recommended the first one, the sequel kind of suffers from trying to incorporate and make fun of too many stuff at once.)
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

Mother/Earthbound series, Costume Quest, the Mario RPG titles (particularly Superstar Saga)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I always thought that the Tales games were pretty funny. They're peppered with a bunch skits, which pretty much consist of silly banter amongst the characters (as opposed to the plot related cut scenes).

The Mother games are very funny too of course.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Albert odyssey!!!!! for the sega saturn. in fact now that i think about it almost any rpg from working designs is high on humor, but albert odyssey made me burst out laughing.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I heartily recommend the online game (it is free) Kingdom of Loathing. It is LOADED with jokes. The entire game is a joke. The gameplay is also decent, but the writing is what really shines. Try it for a bit to see if you like it. I don't play any more but I remember it fondly.

ninjainspandex wrote:Albert odyssey!!!!! for the sega saturn. in fact now that i think about it almost any rpg from working designs is high on humor, but albert odyssey made me burst out laughing.

I finished this not too long ago and I don't remember it being THAT funny :)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Have you ever played the Ace Attorney games? They're not RPGs but the tone is pretty light and funny.

I thought Albert Odyssey was one of WD's weaker titles, but most of their RPGs definitely have tons of goofy dialog. I'd recommend the Lunar games for PS1 - the story is balanced between serious and silly, so it might not be what you're asking for. But they're still great!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Ivo wrote:I finished this not too long ago and I don't remember it being THAT funny :)

You must not of talked to the npcs thats where the hilarity is.
Just thought of a perfect rpg for you, half minute hero on the psp that is definitely an rpg that doesnt take itself seriously
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

The Disgaea games have a very lighthearted and comical tone. It's not always a riot, but some of the characters (Captain Gordon: Defender of Earth being my favorite) are just hilarious.
pankakes123
64-bit

Post by pankakes123 »

Breath of Death and Cthulu Saves the World. Funny, good, and cheap Xbox Live Indie RPGs.