Looking for turn-based RPGs and Strategies for GBA and GBC

Level up here
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for turn-based RPGs and Strategies for GBA and GBC

Post by Xeogred »

Croooow! wrote:So I'm 20 hours into FFTA and on my third attempt trying to play through it and once again I am very bored. I've attained all of the character classes I was interested in and with the story being so dull nothing else is compelling me to go forward in this game. This is the first tactical RPG I've played and should I try another one or just stick with FFTA to the end of the game?

Um read some of our posts above, lol. I don't think FFTA is that great at all to be honest. The original FFT blows it out of the water, and the Tactics Ogre games top FFT in my book. There's also simpler SRPG's like Arc the Lad (1-2) that are really fun and awesome.

FFTA is just weak sauce all around. The story, the characters, the rule system, etc.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Xeogred wrote:FFTA is just weak sauce all around. The story, the characters, the rule system, etc.

Agreed. The original annihilates it so throughly that it's just absurd.

I would say stop wasting your time Croooow! and play one of the other SRPG greats out there that are actually worth your time.
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

brunoafh wrote:I would say stop wasting your time Croooow! and play one of the other SRPG greats out there that are actually worth your time.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll pick up Tactics Orge for PSP after I beat Lunar SSH then.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

skyknight
128-bit

Post by skyknight »

Easy guys, I do respect one's choice to either finish the game or not to (I decided to stop playing Tales of the Abyss on PS2, and focus on the other SMT series on PS2).

FF: Tactics Advance isn't really a awful game, its just when you finished FF:T on the PS1, you maybe hoping for a solid, mature storyline - but NOPE, you got kiddies in fantasy land, where they want to stay there forever and not come back to the REAL world. And you got judges giving you Law cards, just to be a pain in the ass!

YES, there are so many good games out there, that you don't have time to play all of them.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

skyknight wrote:YES, there are so many good games out there, that you don't have time to play all of them.

But then you have posters like us who put the screws to newbies to play the games we liked. :mrgreen:
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for turn-based RPGs and Strategies for GBA and G

Post by casterofdreams »

I still have that Dingoo thing somewhere. I haven't touched it since 2011 right when I created this topic. Either the battery is dead or its close to exploding now. I should probably tend to that.

Skyrim came out shortly after and I discovered emulation on my new Android phone at the time (an HTC Rezound I think). That emulation on the phone came in handy as I was studying for the Series 6 and 63 in the 4th floor basement of Chase Manhattan Plaza for 7 weeks. Those were the days.

But still. With touch screens, RPGs with 4 directional input seem to work best. Strategies, RPGs, and Pokemon.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Absolutely love Shining Force Ressurection of the Dark Dragon, also Onimusha Tactics is pretty good reminds me of Saiyuki Journey West kinda. Yggdra Union I need to spend more time with but seems solid with a learning curve though from what I remember.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Yggdra Union was a great game. I didn't finish it and learning curve is steep but the thing that stopped me was one boss map.

Sting (the developers) made Riviera as well. Part of the Dept. Heaven series along with Knights in the Nightmare.