The Trouble with RPGs - Does this make me a Heretic?

Level up here
marurun

The Trouble with RPGs - Does this make me a Heretic?

Post by marurun »

Jeff Vogel, owner of Spiderweb Software, has a periodic column on IGN's RPG Vault. His latest entry, a 2 parter, very much sums up some of the problems I have with RPGs. Like him, I used to love them. But they make the grind far too menial and monotonous for my current attention span. I wish there was some way to merge the more mature themes of western PC RPGs with some of the ease of play of Japanese RPGs, while keeping the challenge factor, but eliminating much of the annoying level grind. I think strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and Feda are the way to go, really.

part 1
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/763/763050p1.html

part 2
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/782/782155p1.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I agree almost completely with this guy.

There actually is a rant I want to go on, but I don't know how to put in into words quite yet... so eh, I won't at this time.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

No time to read the whole thing, but I agree with the original poster.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Mozgus wrote:No time to read the whole thing, but I agree with the original poster.

Same here

But here's my personal issue:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have that same problem, Racketboy. Surprised I missed that thread and didn't post...

I suspect some of what I brought up, and also Jeff Vogel, might play into that at least in part :)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
kinn
64-bit

Post by kinn »

Have to agree with this.

Just wish that there was some kind of god mode in the rpgs where you could like skip the ramdom battles or something.
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming
marurun

Post by marurun »

Some strategy/tactical RPGs can actually be more fun. They keep the cool plots and characters but make each battle more challenging, more meaningful, and more fun. Even if you didn't go tac, making fewer battles that are more important and more momentous could be a good thing.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
kinn
64-bit

Post by kinn »

marurun wrote:Some strategy/tactical RPGs can actually be more fun. They keep the cool plots and characters but make each battle more challenging, more meaningful, and more fun. Even if you didn't go tac, making fewer battles that are more important and more momentous could be a good thing.

Yeah true. I loved the Shining Force games. Advance Wars was class too. I heard Vandal Hearts was meant to be a good series as well but never tried it. Final Fantasy Tactics was ok but that as good as I expected.

As for fewer battles, well thats one way to go. However, you would need to be careful in how fewer the battles will be i.e. you would not want to have people then complaining about it being like the MGS games...just walking from one cut scene to the next with hardly any gameplay!
360 Gamer Tag = Kinn, PS3 Tag = xKINNx, Wii = 3036 8283 1247 3110
Overdosed on Gaming