Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Level up here
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Re: Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Post by AmishSamurai »

Whenever people mention FFX's "Horrible Voice Acting", they seem to only be referring to "the laugh scene." Except the laughter was supposed to be painfully forced, and once the rest of the Guardians started wtf-ing along with the player, they broke out into genuine laughter. Besides, one scene isn't enough to damn the voice-acting of the entire game.

Just needed that off my chest. It's annoyed me for the past decade.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I tend to agree, the japanese version of the 'laugh scene' is just as painful to watch (they sound like seagulls).

I've heard far worse voice acting though. FFX has a pretty talented cast for the most part, it's just that the characters themselves are kind of annoying to begin with. Tidus has this whiny inflection all the time and Yuna acts like a robot, sure, but the rest of the cast works pretty well.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:I tend to agree, the japanese version of the 'laugh scene' is just as painful to watch (they sound like seagulls).

I've heard far worse voice acting though. FFX has a pretty talented cast for the most part, it's just that the characters themselves are kind of annoying to begin with. Tidus has this whiny inflection all the time and Yuna acts like a robot, sure, but the rest of the cast works pretty well.

But I did not think the voice acting was horrible just cause of the laugh scene. What you just said. The 2 protagonists, the 2 characters with the most screen time, sound like shit. Specially Yuna. Oh hellO, I aM YunA 2001 zz jj zz. How MAy I HElp yOU?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

1. IV
2. VI
3. VII
4. V
5~10. ???
1~3 weren't really anything special for me, 8 was blah and I forced myself to finish it, haven't played 9 but played X on a demo disc and it seemed kinda fun.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

D.D.D. wrote:1. IV
2. VI
3. VII
4. V
5~10. ???
1~3 weren't really anything special for me, 8 was blah and I forced myself to finish it, haven't played 9 but played X on a demo disc and it seemed kinda fun.

I think you'd like 9 judging from your other choices.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

AppleQueso wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:1. IV
2. VI
3. VII
4. V
5~10. ???

I think you'd like 9 judging from your other choices.

A lot of people have said that to me. :D That and that black mage from IX just looks awesome.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

D.D.D. wrote:A lot of people have said that to me. :D That and that black mage from IX just looks awesome.

Deepest character from the PS1 FF games if you ask me.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

I really liked FF9's cast in general. Zidane was a wonderful change from the brooding types that lead 6, 7, and 8.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

AppleQueso wrote:I really liked FF9's cast in general. Zidane was a wonderful change from the brooding types that lead 6,

Who is brooding in FF6? Yeah there is a bunch of drama, but it's not forced. Terra feels like a freak, Locke lost his love (though he doesn't mention it much), Cyan had everyone he knows poisoned, but that's about it.

On the other hand Cloud and Squall were really whiny. "wah wah, sis left me, I don't care that I'm an orphan, who needs parents, I want sis. Oh hi 2 very hot chicks who want to fuck my brains out. No I don't want you. No it's not cause I'm gay, it's because I'm badly written". Likewise for Cloud.

And yeah, half the cast of 9 is wonderful (Vivi, Dagger, Zidane and Freya). On the other hand the other half of the cast..... What did that red hair guy and Quina have to do with them again?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Don't take the 'brooding' remark as an insult to those games. I like 6 (and 7) as much as anybody. 6 justifies it's overall melancholy tone really well, and 9 does have its share of that too, but yeah...

I liked Steiner a lot in 9 too, and I really liked Beatrix, despite her not being playable. I'll be the first to admit though that the story turns into a real mess in the second half.