Final Fantasy Tactics Advance too complex?

Level up here
Ivo
Next-Gen

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance too complex?

Post by Ivo »

Maybe it is just because I hadn't played other Final Fantasy games yet, but the "job system" in this game is a bit complex and really deep. Being deep is good IMO, but the particular implementation is flawed in this case.

Don't get me wrong: I find the game to be quite good all in all. However, learning abilities from equipment in the manner you do in FFTA has borderline more cons than pros in my opinion (I will discuss this more in the end). I guess its a bit too flexible and definitively involves too much work and micro-managing, to the point of being a chore (reminds of grinding exp...). Whereas in games like WoW and even D2 you can customise your character by using different abilites / skill trees - and much of the game's quality comes from the replayability and variety this affords... In FFTA this is taken too far as you do that for each guy in your clan and you can/should mingle different classes together for maximum effect.

The Elder Scrolls series (e.g. Morrowin, Oblivion) is somewhat similar (again only for one character) as you can mix abilities freely, but from 3 main "jobs" only - and you don't have to painstakingly equip underpowered stuff to "learn" them.
Maybe it's not the learning system that is ultimately flawed but its implementation. Its quite a bit of a pain in most cases, even though its innovative from my Western RPG PoV; maybe the flaw is in the details - as far as I see a particular ability most often can only be learned from a specific item, and particularly important early abilities that you want to have later members to your clan learn seem to be associated only to crappy (low level) items.

Then again, FFTA is emphasising tactics, so I guess that's part of the appeal. I like the game despite this and it seems to have a bunch of fans.
How does FFT compare to the Advance game? I hear they are a bit different.

Ivo.
Zork
32-bit

Post by Zork »

I prefer FFT to FFTA, actually I hate FFTA. I hated the stupid battle rules and everything.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

They are quite a bit different and even though there are some monotonous elements of the original FFT, I find it to be superior. I'm hoping the PSP remake cleans up some interface elements and adds some more creative items and missions.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I found FFTA to be absolutely horrible and extremely simplified. In fact, FFTA was one of the two games that convinced me to turn to piracy 100%, on current gen systems anyway. I was so excited at the thought of an FFT sequel that I paid the $35 without hesitation. Between it, and The Sims on Gamecube (BEST SELLING PC GAME OF ALL TIME HAS NOW BEEN ENHANCED, LEIK OMG!) I just didn't have it in me to ever pay full price for a game again.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Mozgus wrote:I found FFTA to be absolutely horrible and extremely simplified.

I fail to see how a game can be more intricate than FFTA (at least in terms of these A-abilities) and still be good :) From the review I read on FFTA, in FFT you could "buy" abilities with job points rather than having to micro-manage the equipment solely for that reason. As I haven't played FFT I can't comment too much, but that seems like a much better system (of course that depends on how you obtain job points).

Now, perhaps the battles themselves could use a bit more strategy rather than just "try to get behind the other guys and shoot"; e.g. more terrain influence (there is some in FFTA though) or explicit modifiers if surrounded. Is that what you mean?

Ivo.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Ivo wrote:I fail to see how a game can be more intricate than FFTA (at least in terms of these A-abilities) and still be good :) From the review I read on FFTA, in FFT you could "buy" abilities with job points rather than having to micro-manage the equipment solely for that reason. As I haven't played FFT I can't comment too much, but that seems like a much better system (of course that depends on how you obtain job points).

Now, perhaps the battles themselves could use a bit more strategy rather than just "try to get behind the other guys and shoot"; e.g. more terrain influence (there is some in FFTA though) or explicit modifiers if surrounded. Is that what you mean?

Ivo.

Just ask any FF fanbase on any forum. 90% will say FFT beats FFTA. I won't go into why. There are reviews for that. FFTA was basically built for grade school kids. It's like the Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest of the new generation.
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

This is what pissed me off about that POS game.

I has a knight sqaud
The Umpire has Absolute rule
No Swords Becomes a Rule
I get raped.

I mean WTF is that? its complete garbage. its a good thing I boiught the game used for el cheapo. Traded it in for Castlevania.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Cerulean wrote:This is what pissed me off about that POS game.

I has a knight sqaud
The Umpire has Absolute rule
No Swords Becomes a Rule
I get raped.

I mean WTF is that? its complete garbage. its a good thing I boiught the game used for el cheapo. Traded it in for Castlevania.

Yeah those random bans on vital abilities or equipment are probably the worst aspect of the game. Kind of like the magic drawing system of FF8. It steals all the fun that you could have possibly had.

When Square was making this turd, why didn't they stop to ask themselves whether or not it was actually...FUN, before releasing it?
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I actually like the game myself. The think I find most annoying is the micro-management aspect of the equipment and shuffling around equip to learn the abilities.

The rules are inconvenient but I think that is intended part of the game - you're supposed to counteract them with law cards (when you get to have them) and mainly with a diverse clan. I never had too much trouble with the laws. The ones that have given me trouble are "no color magic" (gets rid of about all spellcasters, but there's still a bunch "expert jobs" that can do it), "no healing" (you can get around that one with items), "no area effects" (it restrict most attack spells and healing).

Basically I have 13 or so members (including the 2 "main" characters) and many of them can change jobs to be flexible with the laws.

Ivo.
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

Ivo wrote:I actually like the game myself. The think I find most annoying is the micro-management aspect of the equipment and shuffling around equip to learn the abilities.

The rules are inconvenient but I think that is intended part of the game - you're supposed to counteract them with law cards (when you get to have them) and mainly with a diverse clan. I never had too much trouble with the laws. The ones that have given me trouble are "no color magic" (gets rid of about all spellcasters, but there's still a bunch "expert jobs" that can do it), "no healing" (you can get around that one with items), "no area effects" (it restrict most attack spells and healing).

Basically I have 13 or so members (including the 2 "main" characters) and many of them can change jobs to be flexible with the laws.

Ivo.

Yeah but when your going to lvl up each character thru the ranks its not just annoying, its problematic.