What RPG are you playing right now?

Level up here
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What RPG are you playing right now?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Quite an interesting series. I kinda like how it uses characters from other licensed games. Still need to check out the Final Fantasy ones...
Ack

Post by Ack »

Brandish arrived in the mail yesterday. No, I'm not playing it yet, I still have EarthBound. But I did clean it and test it yesterday, and it is certainly a different experience. I played for probably half an hour, long enough to get comfortable with the controls and figure out the inventory and menu system.

That was a little complicated, and I'm still not entirely clear on the inventory system. I'm just glad that throwing things away means dropping them on the ground; otherwise I would have been in a world of hurt.

Anyway, I think Brandish is what I will play next, once I'm finished with EarthBound. I have a couple more RPGs on the way, and one of them I am looking forward to trying out(Ultima: Runes of Virtue 2), but for now I am pretty set. I still need to grab a copy of Soul Blazer and play through that this year...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The SNES version of Brandish I for one could not get into. (And this is coming from someone who bothered to beat Brain Lord.) The way the dungeon disconcertingly wraps around the player in 90 degree instantaneous leaps never became a comfortable thing for me to deal with. The lack of tile variety did little to differentiate the dungeon environments and made everything melt together into one disingenuous mishmash. If you have a Vita I strongly recommend playing this version of the game instead. If not, good luck man. The seed of a good game is buried deep within the SNES version, but man it's hard to bring to fruition.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:The SNES version of Brandish I for one could not get into. (And this is coming from someone who bothered to beat Brain Lord.) The way the dungeon disconcertingly wraps around the player in 90 degree instantaneous leaps never became a comfortable thing for me to deal with. The lack of tile variety did little to differentiate the dungeon environments and made everything melt together into one disingenuous mishmash. If you have a Vita I strongly recommend playing this version of the game instead. If not, good luck man. The seed of a good game is buried deep within the SNES version, but man it's hard to bring to fruition.

Thanks, I appreciate the support. I'll be sticking with the SNES one, just because it's what I prefer, but that rotating map thing did take some getting used to, and I admit that I spent a lot of time strafing with the L and R buttons instead of turning. I've also beaten Brain Lord, but that game didn't seem nearly as...problematic upon initial play.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

More power to you then. If can you beat the SNES version of Brandish you're a tough hombre.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

I actually just started playing Final Fantasy for the NES last night.

I remember never liking much as I started off with much better RPG's, but after taking the time to get accustomed to it I'm actually really enjoying myself. I mean it's obviously no Final Fantasy IV or VI, and I know I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but I'm diggin' it.

Game also got a helluva lot easier when I realized I had to equip my gear >.>
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Westane wrote:Game also got a helluva lot easier when I realized I had to equip my gear >.>

See, that's a total ah-hah moment for many people playing Might & Magic for the first time (the party starts off with an inventory full of unequipped clubs), but Final Fantasy starts you with nothing. You buy your gear and then you equip it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Westane
32-bit

Post by Westane »

MrPopo wrote:
Westane wrote:Game also got a helluva lot easier when I realized I had to equip my gear >.>

See, that's a total ah-hah moment for many people playing Might & Magic for the first time (the party starts off with an inventory full of unequipped clubs), but Final Fantasy starts you with nothing. You buy your gear and then you equip it.

And for Might & Magic it was a no-brainer for me :D

What really threw me off was when I went to go buy equipment it asked me which character I wanted to give the item to, which my brain interpreted as equip to. Only later did I realize my Warriors of Light were open hand slapping imps while they had swords strapped to their backs...
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Westane wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

And for Might & Magic it was a no-brainer for me :D

What really threw me off was when I went to go buy equipment it asked me which character I wanted to give the item to, which my brain interpreted as equip to. Only later did I realize my Warriors of Light were open hand slapping imps while they had swords strapped to their backs...

Should have gone for the four monk runthrough.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Westane wrote:I actually just started playing Final Fantasy for the NES last night.

I remember never liking much as I started off with much better RPG's, but after taking the time to get accustomed to it I'm actually really enjoying myself. I mean it's obviously no Final Fantasy IV or VI, and I know I'm a bit late to the party with this one, but I'm diggin' it.

Game also got a helluva lot easier when I realized I had to equip my gear >.>

Will you finish before dsparx? Pretty sure you will.