RPG Progress Report

Level up here
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: RPG Progress Report

Post by Jmustang1968 »

You can play SNES RGB with just buying a cable or get a Super NT. And there are devices that keep save states, or ways to back up save files, say using a retron 5... Or just fully emulate them
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Jmustang1968 wrote:You can play SNES RGB with just buying a cable or get a Super NT. And there are devices that keep save states, or ways to back up save files, say using a retron 5... Or just fully emulate them

Well emulation is out of the question for me, if I wanted to emulate them I would do so on PC years ago.

And the Super NT is.. Eh, I prefer original hardware, I may move on this in the future, but for the time being I love the authenticity of original hardware/controller/CRT combo for these sort of games/platforms.

What of this cable though? I thought RGB modding a SNES was a messy process that required specific models and maybe messing with the case permanently. If there's a cable I can use to get RGB from an original SNES let me at it!

As for the saves, I have the Retrode and the Retron 5 (for the NES since Retrode doesn't support it) in mind, the problem is leaving the money aside to buy them, which I will eventually, though the Retrode has gotten expensive these days.

Basically, the NES and SNES games I have more hoops I need to jump through in order to play them, self imposed hoops for sure, but hoops none the less.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so I'm 13 hrs into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, which to be honest, I'm almost surprised I'm typing that. Nothing against Pokemon, I've just never been super interested in the series. But holy shit, I'm actually having a lot of fun. I do think that a big part of it is that I've been very busy recently, so an RPG that is extremely linear and has rather simple combat is just very appealing to me at the moment. I think there's times when my brain wants big gigantic "do whatever you want" worlds like in Skyrim or BOTW, and right now my brain just wants comfort food that isn't overly complicated. I've now tackled six gyms and am on hot pursuit of a missing submarine. Good times!
Last edited by noiseredux on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

noiseredux wrote:alright so I'm 13 hrs into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, which to be honest, I'm almost surprised I'm typing that. Nothing against Pokemon, I've just never been super interested in the series. But holy shit, I'm actually having a lot of fun. I do think that a big part of it is that I've been very busy recently, so an RPG that is extremely linear and has rather simple combat is just very appealing to me at the moment. I think there's times when my brain wants big gigantic "do whatever you want" worlds like in Skyrim or BOTW, and right now my brain just wants comfort food that isn't overly complicated. I've now tackled five gyms and am on hot pursuit of a missing submarine. Good times!

I feel ya on the brain wanting a simple grind. There are times when I just want to do mindless things in a bright colorful and musically delightful world. Pokemon is low effort but has so much character that it is charming. No matter who you are, there is a pokemon out there for you that you attach to.

Question for ya noise! What is your party comprised of right now? Do you have a favorite?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Okay, in order of how much I tend to use them...

My starter is a Swampert who I've had since the beginning of the game (originally a Mudkip). He's got a water attack and two rock attacks outside of his basic attack. And he's usually my go-to for most basic battles. I think he's hovering just under level 50 right now.

I have a 'cosplay' Pikachu that I won in a beauty contest. Leveled just behind Swampert. She's got three different electric attacks and a basic.

Beutifly is cool. The rest of these are probably like ten levels below Pikachu. Beautifly has a couple of wind attacks, and a life-drain/restore thing.

Latias I got from someone in a story quest. She has a Mega Evolve or whatever but I don't even know what that does. Haha. Does it literally evolve her for good, or is it something that is specific to a battle?

Slaking evolved from the Sloth looking thing that I just thought was funny looking. I basically never use him, but instead have him hold some of the TM's that are useful for navigating the overworld.

The sixth slot is sort of a revolving door because honestly, like 90% of my battles involve the top 3 that I listed. I think right now I've got a Mightyeena in there.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:Okay, in order of how much I tend to use them...

My starter is a Swampert who I've had since the beginning of the game (originally a Mudkip). He's got a water attack and two rock attacks outside of his basic attack. And he's usually my go-to for most basic battles. I think he's hovering just under level 50 right now.

I have a 'cosplay' Pikachu that I won in a beauty contest. Leveled just behind Swampert. She's got three different electric attacks and a basic.

Beutifly is cool. The rest of these are probably like ten levels below Pikachu. Beautifly has a couple of wind attacks, and a life-drain/restore thing.

Latias I got from someone in a story quest. She has a Mega Evolve or whatever but I don't even know what that does. Haha. Does it literally evolve her for good, or is it something that is specific to a battle?

Slaking evolved from the Sloth looking thing that I just thought was funny looking. I basically never use him, but instead have him hold some of the TM's that are useful for navigating the overworld.

The sixth slot is sort of a revolving door because honestly, like 90% of my battles involve the top 3 that I listed. I think right now I've got a Mightyeena in there.

Mega-Evolving is like a temporary evolution that lasts just for one battle. You can only mega-evolve one pokemon per battle, and it generally makes them more powerful by giving them higher stats and sometimes a new ability or typing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Arenegeth wrote:What of this cable though? I thought RGB modding a SNES was a messy process that required specific models and maybe messing with the case permanently. If there's a cable I can use to get RGB from an original SNES let me at it!

You're thinking of the N64 and the NES. With the SNES it just needs to be a model one.

http://retrorgb.com/snescsync.html
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Also the hdretrovision snes component cable

https://www.hdretrovision.com/snes/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright well, I think I've beaten the big major story beat in Alpha Sapphire as I've caught that big aquatic Poke' on the cover art. Forget his name. Begins with a K. It was actually sort of anticlimactic... there was this huge cut scene showing how epic this moment was and I just threw a Master Ball at him and *poof* it was over. Haha. Anyway, everyone tells me that I've saved the world or whatever and now I can either go off and complete my Pokedex (totally not me), or can go compete in Pokemon League. I did finish out the 8th and final gym for good measure. Anyway, have I effectively 'beaten' the game now having gone thru the main story, or is there a credit roll after beating the Pokemon League thing? I'm currently on my way thru Victory Road.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:alright well, I think I've beaten the big major story beat in Alpha Sapphire as I've caught that big aquatic Poke' on the cover art. Forget his name. Begins with a K. It was actually sort of anticlimactic... there was this huge cut scene showing how epic this moment was and I just threw a Master Ball at him and *poof* it was over. Haha. Anyway, everyone tells me that I've saved the world or whatever and now I can either go off and complete my Pokedex (totally not me), or can go compete in Pokemon League. I did finish out the 8th and final gym for good measure. Anyway, have I effectively 'beaten' the game now having gone thru the main story, or is there a credit roll after beating the Pokemon League thing? I'm currently on my way thru Victory Road.

Beating the pokemon league gives you credits, although there's a small post-game story too.