SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
hockeytree

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by hockeytree Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I actually registered just to comment on this, you should definetly make an image of everything that is on the harddrive(s) and its pretty possible he will find some gd's with it so if you get any of those thats even better! I find the devkits so interesting and i have always wanted to poke around with the files.

oh i almost forgot CONGRATULATIONS!
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 pm

hockeytree wrote:I actually registered just to comment on this, you should definetly make an image of everything that is on the harddrive(s) and its pretty possible he will find some gd's with it so if you get any of those thats even better! I find the devkits so interesting and i have always wanted to poke around with the files.

oh i almost forgot CONGRATULATIONS!
I plan on sucking every ounce of fun and awesomeness out of this machine. I hope I can transfer the files on the HDD to my PC to burn. And welcome to the site!!!
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm

I can't help but wonder if the DC coders cable could come in handy? And is there a place that sell GD-Rs?
hockeytree

by hockeytree Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:53 pm

The coders cable would only be useful under the condition the PC part of the box was dead. You would have to use the DC part to rip any GD's that came with it if it ran without the PC.

Best conditions are the PC boots up to a Win 98 OS with no password protection and all wires hooked properly inside. If so you could archive the entire contents of the harddrive(s) very easily... If not, Linux live CD's may be able to help.

Oh and please please please take detailed pics of the inside, I am specifically interested in chips used for midi so i could try to build my own, but hi res pics of every part would be soooo beautiful. hahaha I feel like im being too commanding. You just may have happened across one of my childhood dreams, so im acting like a four year old in Toys'R'Us...

GDR's are sometimes listed on ebay but they go for outrageous prices $100+ for five
The final GD pressing company closed down so prices have probably jumped even higher. :(
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 am

hockeytree wrote:GDR's are sometimes listed on ebay but they go for outrageous prices $100+ for five
The final GD pressing company closed down so prices have probably jumped even higher. :(
How do Japanese Dreamcast developers get these GD-Rs? They still release DC games over there so someone still sells them.
hockeytree

by hockeytree Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:32 am

The place JUST closed down or is closing within a week, cant remember. But they were only a pressing plant so they couldnt make GD's you could burn anyway.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 am

hockeytree wrote:The place JUST closed down or is closing within a week, cant remember. But they were only a pressing plant so they couldnt make GD's you could burn anyway.
Boo :(
hockeytree

by hockeytree Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm

corn619 wrote: Boo :(

I agree
ubelaffe
64-bit

by ubelaffe Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:07 pm

I thought that the new games coming out for the dreamcast were being stamped on cd, much like the way we do burns.

GDr has been done for a while. Ask your buddy to look for some!
Consoles:GB, Virtual Boy, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Sega Genesis+32x, Sega Saturn, Sega Sports Dreamcast, PS2+HDD+HD Advance, Xbox, XBOX 360
Return to Sega