SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
corn619
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island

Dreamcast developers kit

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am

I think I just scored a official Dreamcast developers kit!! My good friend and his fiance came over for dinner tonight. He works for a game developer and they were cleaning house and stumbled on it. Knowing I love everything Dreamcast he put it away for me. He's going to give it to me on Monday, I can't wait to add this to my collection. I will post pics when I get it.
profshiny
16-bit
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by profshiny Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:59 am

Wow! Congratulations, I can't wait to see the pictures. Cross your fingers and hope for leftovers on the HDD. :D
User avatar
elvis
128-bit
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:20 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by elvis Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:11 am

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
User avatar
corn619
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:46 am

The only problem is it might need a power cable and I think theres a software disc needed for certain operations. Would anyone have any ideas on how to obtain or make these items. The cable being the more important item. The cable looks different than computer or Dreamcast cables from the pictures I've seen.The software disc I'm hoping will be in the unit but who knows. How rare are these units and how much do they go for? Any help will be very helpful, thanks.
User avatar
superlarz
128-bit
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by superlarz Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:04 pm

So how long before we can expect you to start pumping out new DC titles....
owned: Atari VCS, Intellivision, ColecoVision, NES, NES2, Sega Master System, Turbografx-16, Genesis/Sega CD Model 1, Genesis/Sega CD Model 2/32x, SNES, Atari Jaguar, Virtual Boy, GBA, 3DO, Saturn, Playstation, PSone, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3
wanted: Cd-I, Neo Geo AES
profshiny
16-bit
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Kansas City

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by profshiny Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't know a lot about the nuts and bolts, but there's a sticky at Assembler Games on how to set up a Dreamcast devkit, including necessary components.

As for rarity and value, according to Assembler, "The Dreamcast DEV kit is one of the easier kits to find. There were a lot of these made. There's been at least a dozen on ebay, and if you've got a few hundred bucks, you can get one with the software tools as well." (source)and "It's hard to get the software, the GD-R and media is near impossible to get. " (source).
User avatar
corn619
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 pm

profshiny wrote:I don't know a lot about the nuts and bolts, but there's a sticky at Assembler Games on how to set up a Dreamcast devkit, including necessary components.

As for rarity and value, according to Assembler, "The Dreamcast DEV kit is one of the easier kits to find. There were a lot of these made. There's been at least a dozen on ebay, and if you've got a few hundred bucks, you can get one with the software tools as well." (source)and "It's hard to get the software, the GD-R and media is near impossible to get. " (source).
I read this article as well which made me aware of the cable and software issue. I didn't know if anyone has one or seen one and how much was paided for it, but a few hundred sounds correct. I don't think I will make or mod games unless it writes CDRs. Who knows what its capable of though. Maybe I can transfer the info on the Dreamcast HDD to my PC to write it to disc. In that case expect to see Shmups, lots of them. Or at least modded versions of existing shmups if possible.
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by baphomet_irl Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:54 pm

wow nice one - IMO that and the French Sonic-head shaped thingy builtin to the monitor are the ultimate DC's - great stuff
'In the end it didn't work out. It was tough, but those were great days and I've never met anybody who regretted buying a Dreamcast.'
User avatar
corn619
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2263
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Lincoln, Rhode Island

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by corn619 Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:46 pm

baphomet_irl wrote:wow nice one - IMO that and the French Sonic-head shaped thingy builtin to the monitor are the ultimate DC's - great stuff
And the French Divers 2000 Dreamcast can be all yours for a cool $700.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/Import-JP-Sega-Drea ... dZViewItem
User avatar
baphomet_irl
128-bit
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Location: Éire

Re: Dreamcast developers kit

by baphomet_irl Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:21 pm

corn619 wrote:
baphomet_irl wrote:wow nice one - IMO that and the French Sonic-head shaped thingy builtin to the monitor are the ultimate DC's - great stuff
And the French Divers 2000 Dreamcast can be all yours for a cool $700.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/Import-JP-Sega-Drea ... dZViewItem


*drools*
'In the end it didn't work out. It was tough, but those were great days and I've never met anybody who regretted buying a Dreamcast.'
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest