HELP! My megadrive wont connect to my new HDtv!?!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
teddie_long

HELP! My megadrive wont connect to my new HDtv!?!

Post by teddie_long »

Hello there everyone... Im new to the site, and was wondering if any of you guys can help me?!

I have a megadrive, and loooooads of games, and Ive recently bought a nice spandangly 26" LG Hdtv.

The only problem is... now when I hook up my megadrive, the picutre is shoddy. Ive tried it via all different cables, RF and Scart, with no joy! The picture is really bright, and its got waves of lines going across it!

I can see the game and everything, but the picutres so unstable it makes me feel sea sick! Anyone know of this problem or anything that might help?!

Regards

Eddie
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Welcome!
to start... what kind of connection are you using?
Do you happen to have a AV receiver in between?
lunar
24-bit

Post by lunar »

I remember seeing this kind of problem a long time ago, but don't remember the exact solution :(

When you try with RF , set your TV to auto tune then when you get some sort of image do a manual fine tune to see if you can clear up the image. Also if the RF unit has some switch on it try switching to a different position and then try tuning. Other than that, check if the cables are firmly plugged into the mega drive and tv.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Yeah if you're using RF then it's gonna look like utter puke. That's just the way it goes.

At the end of the day the the av signal that the megadrive outputs at its native resolution (at max it will be 720x480, this is standard tv signal) will never fill that HDTV, to get the full signal you need to put the AV cable through an AV reciever which then convert the signal to HDTV resolution without stretching it grotesquely which is what the HDTV is attempting to do now. Unfortunately these AV upconverters/recievers cost a lot of money. I don't know of any other way of fixing it up so it looks viewable mate.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tvent ... tvisionn6/

You can upconvert and output coax, composite, s-video, and component (720p!!) into VGA with this thing for under 200 bucks. The interface and remote are horrible, but the picture quality is pretty decent. In my experience an ATI all-in-wonder through a PC will give you the best picture for interlaced video and its very scalable.