Some questions about Sega Netlink..

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

Some questions about Sega Netlink..

Post by Wanderer - Vega »

Did anyone have the opportunity to use it with Sega Saturn? My first online console was Dreamcast, luckily I had the opportunity to experience it and I'm really glad that I did..lots of fun.

I'm wondering if anyone went on with Netlink, though. I was just reading about it, apparently you would need the modem peripheral which went into the Saturn's cartridge slot, correct? Was it compatible on every model/version of the Saturn?
Games available on NetLink

* Daytona CCE Championship Edition
* Duke Nukem 3D
* Saturn Bomberman
* Sega Rally
* Virtual On

Does anyone know if there has been any attempt to ressurect NetLink by making a private or home server? I imagine it would be impossible now since the servers are offline and nobody knows what kind of packets would need to be sent/how the hosting would work, etc.
Pullmyfinger
Next-Gen

Post by Pullmyfinger »

I think you had to dial directly to the person you want to play against
scott21
16-bit

Post by scott21 »

i play bomberman last weekend with a guy I met. it takes your phone line and long distance could cost you, but its pretty fun.
Clockwork
24-bit

Post by Clockwork »

would it work with a tk? or does the "modem" wait for line-signal?
know your roots !!!
alexkidd
24-bit

Re: Some questions about Sega Netlink..

Post by alexkidd »

I worked at Toys 'R Us in college and my boss knew I loved Sega and gave me all of their extra Sega Rally Netlink promo copies (about 10) when the promo was over along with about 20 of the "3 for three" games. I never had the netlink, but i made a lot of $ selling the Netlink Sega Rally copies on eBay about 4 years ago ;-)

Justin Rom wrote:Did anyone have the opportunity to use it with Sega Saturn? My first online console was Dreamcast, luckily I had the opportunity to experience it and I'm really glad that I did..lots of fun.

I'm wondering if anyone went on with Netlink, though. I was just reading about it, apparently you would need the modem peripheral which went into the Saturn's cartridge slot, correct? Was it compatible on every model/version of the Saturn?
Games available on NetLink

* Daytona CCE Championship Edition
* Duke Nukem 3D
* Saturn Bomberman
* Sega Rally
* Virtual On

Does anyone know if there has been any attempt to ressurect NetLink by making a private or home server? I imagine it would be impossible now since the servers are offline and nobody knows what kind of packets would need to be sent/how the hosting would work, etc.