Dreamcast overheating?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
dc4me

Dreamcast overheating?

Post by dc4me »

I only recently took out my DC again to play, which hadn't been used in about a year but I kept it in its original box, and though it might have been this way but I just never noticed until now that my DC, after about half an hour of play, would extremely heat up. When I take out the game disc, the disc is burning hot and inside the surface of the system is just as hot. My DC, as well as other consoles, has always been played in dust-free areas and never played on a carpet. Nothing clogs the openings on the console. I'm just a bit concerned if my DC is starting to wear out. Even though I have an unopened backup, which I'm hoping I won't have to start using, I've been very fond of this one because I bought it on launch day. :D And it's been working like a charm ever since. It's always been loud when loading, and I suppose the heat has always been like that. Should I be worried? And should I be concerned about the heat affecting the game disc?

Thanks for any input on this matter.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

The side fan is blowing plenty of air right? The DC requires a working fan.

But if the system isn't restarting on you, then the fan must be spinning at a rate faster then the minimum it requires. Hmmm. I would make sure your CPU and graphics chips on the mainboard are making contact with the aluminum sheet at the very bottom. They should have little thermal pads stuck between the chips and sheet, to make the contact. Check on that.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, if it isn't restarting or giving you garbled graphics, etc, its probably not too hot.
You don't have it in too cramped of an area, correct? Just make sure it has good airlfow.
About the noise thing -- mine has always made a bunch of noise when loading. The Dreamcast is just a naturally noisy machine (its main flaw IMO).
dc4me

Post by dc4me »

Thanks for the quick input! Yeah, the side fan blows plenty of hot air out so the fan is working just fine. My DC is not placed in a cramp spot. In fact, it's placed all by its lonesome self. :) I've never experienced garbled graphics, and the only time it ever restarted by itself was when I once tried playing some emulated roms on a CD-R. I've stopped playing those since and have had no problems with restarting when I play regular game discs. Anyway, thanks for the reassurances. I'll definitely check out the mainboard to see if it's making contact with the aluminum sheet.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

Take it apart and clean everything. If you've had it since launch, the inside is going to be filthy.

I don't care if you kept that thing sealed in a freezer ;), dust finds its way into everything.

The same thing happened with my computer. I only had it a few months, but it would heat up fast
and the fan would blow top-speed ALL the time. After I took it apart, the whole air intake thing
was totally blocked with dust.