Decals for Sega Saturn or just how to make it look better?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Decals for Sega Saturn or just how to make it look better?

Post by Mega-Dan »

They make console Decals for modern systems (xbox, xbox 360, PS2, Gamecube) but do they make console skins and decals for older classic systems such as the saturn? I ask because my saturn looks like it survived the apocolypse, and was on the losing side. It still works fine, but its heavily scuffed up all across its entire surface from when I originally purchasd it (idiot shipped it in large box without any packaging). If nobody knows about decals, does anybody know how to remove alot of scuffing, they are surface only and not to deep, just very ugly.
BoNg420
8-bit

Post by BoNg420 »

you could always paint it.
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

I painted mine, although I wish I hadn't. Your best bet would be to just buy another system, possibly a broken one - and just get the shell from it.

The oldest system I've found "skins" for is Dreamcast.
bawitback
64-bit

Post by bawitback »

With my purchase of my Saturn (MK-80000) it came with stickers. Back then I didn't want to "ruin" my console by sticking them on, I was nitpicky back then. So I stuck them on my shelf. Havn't seen any custom skins for saturn yet.

[off-topic]
Does anyone else remember what you did with those Saturn stickers? :shock:
[/off-topic]
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I have yet to find decals for Saturns... but then, that doesn't mean they can't be made. It just takes the annitiative. You can easily take the saturn to someone who knows how to make decals and they can measure it come up with a layout for the decals that will easily fit on it. And then you just make up a design and print it out.

Down side... due to the lack of it already being done means it is going to cost a lot of money. It would generally be done by someone who thought they could make profit from it and would have 100 or so printed up to be sold on the internet.

You'd then need a lot of people who wanted this for their saturn... and liked your design ideas. Because custom shit is just going to be even more expensive.

---------------

THEN... there is a cheaper, and not as professional looking way of doing it. There are plenty of decal, sticker paper out there that you can print in a normal inkjet printer. Very affordable and you can just test a lay out on your saturn with it to find a patern for the cut and then print your own up. Just won't look as professional... but is easier then painting if you aren't skilled in that area because stickers can easily be removed with some rubbing alcohol where as painting requires a bit more skill.

Jemsic I know is pretty skilled at painting... I am assuming as I've seen his USB arcade stick he made with powerstone on the front. Top notch I must add!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

lordofduct stole my ideas :)

you could play doctor frankenstein and make a new case for it with mix-and-match plastics maybe. or use legos, like the famous lego NES!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Personally, I would take some really fine sandpaper to it and use Krylon Fusion spraypaint (made for plastics) and give it a showroom shine.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Extreme Sega Makeover

Post by Mega-Dan »

I got these craptastic infra-red wireless remotes for my saturn, and they arent so great for playing games (you have to have line of sight, but other than that they are a 6.5 out of 10) but it makes the saturn my cd player of choice. However, the amazing ugliness of my saturn is really offputting, and I kind of hide it on a bottom shelf out of the way. So I might just make the thing look really cool by sanding it down and spray painting it electric blue!
saurianoverlord

Post by saurianoverlord »

I have a hard time saying anyone should do anything with their Saturn, but i guess if it looks that bad, you can't hurt it too much.

I don't have a lot of experience with painting consoles, but i did a model 2 Genesis recently and i can tell you the following:

1) Do NOT use cheap spray paint. Try the brands the other people here recommend. It would seem that model paints are a good choice; i used Testor's red and it worked quite well, but i used a cheap brand's silver and it looked like ass.

2) Definitely sand it down with a very fine sandpaper so that the paint will adhere to it better.

3) Don't try painting buttons unless you know what you're doing. *ahem*

This is a site i've run into regarding Dreamcast mods, but this page on painting a DC has a few tips in it that should apply to any console. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!