Page 8 of 21

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 am
by SpaceBooger
Eric,
Do you mind sharing some tips on using gather?
I am currently in the canyon (2nd part of it) and even though I'm still at the beginning of the game I haven't used gather yet... and I probably should.
I've never been good at using magic or skills in RPGs I usually just grind to get my stats up - I never realized that you could change your limit breaks in FF7 until the 2nd disc when I first played it.

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm
by Eric
SpaceBooger wrote:Eric,
Do you mind sharing some tips on using gather?
I am currently in the canyon (2nd part of it) and even though I'm still at the beginning of the game I haven't used gather yet... and I probably should.
I've never been good at using magic or skills in RPGs I usually just grind to get my stats up - I never realized that you could change your limit breaks in FF7 until the 2nd disc when I first played it.


^ That's actually the part of the game where I went back to an easier part and spent time grinding levels, before I got past there. After that I wasn't PURPOSELY grinding levels but I did frequently get lost in dungeons, I was fighting every battle I naturally came across. So getting lost in a dungeon is kind of like grinding by design, I think.

Gather is somewhat easier to build during boss fights just because boss fights are longer give you more time to do it. It also gets easier later in the game when equipment and items give you gather points.

Generally at the start of a fight, I try to build the gather as high as I can for all the characters. It will then make your attacks much stronger, and also your healing magic much stronger. Then throughout the battle figure out the pattern the boss uses and try to keep your gather up at times when you won't need to heal. But HEAL and heal frequently. Also sometimes I would just pick one character for the entire battle to just build gather give it to the characters that needed it, or I'd have that character use healing/other inventory items.

So here's how I usually did it.

GATHER at the start
During the battle prioritize healing over building gather
If you have enough healing items in your inventory you can outlast any boss. Building gather points high will make those fights go much quicker. But you need to be alive to win the battle.

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am
by SpaceBooger
Man you aren't joking.
I thought having 10 herbs would be fine and then I got to the Crab Boss in the Lost Ruins.
Man, he took down 3 of my party members and I delivered the final blow with 4 HP left. I didn't save it and will try again tomorrow since I don't want just one character getting XP.
These bosses are hard and grinding is so slow in this game.

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 am
by MrPopo
SpaceBooger wrote:Man you aren't joking.
I thought having 10 herbs would be fine and then I got to the Crab Boss in the Lost Ruins.
Man, he took down 3 of my party members and I delivered the final blow with 4 HP left. I didn't save it and will try again tomorrow since I don't want just one character getting XP.
These bosses are hard and grinding is so slow in this game.

Did you remember to attack it's weak point?

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 am
by SpaceBooger
MrPopo wrote:Did you remember to attack it's weak point?

Umm... I never checked to see if I could hit it elsewhere... wait did your copy arrive yet or are you just messing with me?

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 pm
by Stark
Ordered a copy from the second run, can't wait! :)

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm
by Bradtemple87
Stark wrote:Ordered a copy from the second run, can't wait! :)


I need to get my priorities straight and stop paying bills :lol:

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:30 pm
by MrPopo
SpaceBooger wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Did you remember to attack it's weak point?

Umm... I never checked to see if I could hit it elsewhere... wait did your copy arrive yet or are you just messing with me?

I'm being snarky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC ... re=related

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 pm
by SpaceBooger
Ahh. I almost forgot that Pier Solar is based on real battles that actually took place in ancient Japan.

Re: Pier Solar

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 am
by Zeonik Freak
Hey when did people get their copies? I got an email on December 13th ish saying it would arrive within 20 days ( i guess business) and i have yet to get my copy in. Im wondering if I need to contact them or i just might give it one more week.