SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Re: Pier Solar

by SpaceBooger Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 am

Eric,
Do you mind sharing some tips on using gather?
I am currently in the canyon (2nd part of it) and even though I'm still at the beginning of the game I haven't used gather yet... and I probably should.
I've never been good at using magic or skills in RPGs I usually just grind to get my stats up - I never realized that you could change your limit breaks in FF7 until the 2nd disc when I first played it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Eric

by Eric Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:21 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:Eric,
Do you mind sharing some tips on using gather?
I am currently in the canyon (2nd part of it) and even though I'm still at the beginning of the game I haven't used gather yet... and I probably should.
I've never been good at using magic or skills in RPGs I usually just grind to get my stats up - I never realized that you could change your limit breaks in FF7 until the 2nd disc when I first played it.

^ That's actually the part of the game where I went back to an easier part and spent time grinding levels, before I got past there. After that I wasn't PURPOSELY grinding levels but I did frequently get lost in dungeons, I was fighting every battle I naturally came across. So getting lost in a dungeon is kind of like grinding by design, I think.

Gather is somewhat easier to build during boss fights just because boss fights are longer give you more time to do it. It also gets easier later in the game when equipment and items give you gather points.

Generally at the start of a fight, I try to build the gather as high as I can for all the characters. It will then make your attacks much stronger, and also your healing magic much stronger. Then throughout the battle figure out the pattern the boss uses and try to keep your gather up at times when you won't need to heal. But HEAL and heal frequently. Also sometimes I would just pick one character for the entire battle to just build gather give it to the characters that needed it, or I'd have that character use healing/other inventory items.

So here's how I usually did it.

GATHER at the start
During the battle prioritize healing over building gather
If you have enough healing items in your inventory you can outlast any boss. Building gather points high will make those fights go much quicker. But you need to be alive to win the battle.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am

Man you aren't joking.
I thought having 10 herbs would be fine and then I got to the Crab Boss in the Lost Ruins.
Man, he took down 3 of my party members and I delivered the final blow with 4 HP left. I didn't save it and will try again tomorrow since I don't want just one character getting XP.
These bosses are hard and grinding is so slow in this game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 am

SpaceBooger wrote:Man you aren't joking.
I thought having 10 herbs would be fine and then I got to the Crab Boss in the Lost Ruins.
Man, he took down 3 of my party members and I delivered the final blow with 4 HP left. I didn't save it and will try again tomorrow since I don't want just one character getting XP.
These bosses are hard and grinding is so slow in this game.

Did you remember to attack it's weak point?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:17 am

MrPopo wrote:Did you remember to attack it's weak point?

Umm... I never checked to see if I could hit it elsewhere... wait did your copy arrive yet or are you just messing with me?
BLOG | BST
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Ordered a copy from the second run, can't wait! :)
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Stark wrote:Ordered a copy from the second run, can't wait! :)

I need to get my priorities straight and stop paying bills :lol:
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:30 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Did you remember to attack it's weak point?

Umm... I never checked to see if I could hit it elsewhere... wait did your copy arrive yet or are you just messing with me?

I'm being snarky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC ... re=related
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Ahh. I almost forgot that Pier Solar is based on real battles that actually took place in ancient Japan.
BLOG | BST
Zeonik Freak
64-bit

by Zeonik Freak Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 am

Hey when did people get their copies? I got an email on December 13th ish saying it would arrive within 20 days ( i guess business) and i have yet to get my copy in. Im wondering if I need to contact them or i just might give it one more week.
Return to Sega