SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Re: Pier Solar

by SpaceBooger Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 am

I got the same feel about those forums, but I preordered before the forums existed (I think). I have been browsing the forums a lot ever since I got the shipping notice last week waiting for mine to come in.

I am looking forward to the game even though most of the discussion has been about whether or not to open it and how much it will be worth. I bought the game because I wanted to play it.

I will post a review (or at least a first impression) about the game not just the packaging once it arrives.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
PixelPixii
32-bit

by PixelPixii Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 am

SpaceBooger wrote:I got the same feel about those forums, but I preordered before the forums existed (I think). I have been browsing the forums a lot ever since I got the shipping notice last week waiting for mine to come in.

I am looking forward to the game even though most of the discussion has been about whether or not to open it and how much it will be worth. I bought the game because I wanted to play it.

I will post a review (or at least a first impression) about the game not just the packaging once it arrives.

Great! I am REALLY curious about the actual quality of the game itself. Send me a message when you post your review! :D

SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I Got Mine Today!
And it's real nice looking:
100_4834.JPG

100_4843.JPG

100_4837.JPG

100_4842.JPG

After I play it some Ill post my take on the game.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

by ott0bot Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm

I got mine yesterday.

Opened it up and spent an hour with it today.

First impressions.....
Packaging is fantastic. The layout and printing is top-notch. Plus a bunch of extras, like stickers and a poster. I gave me a huge rush of nostalgia that I haven't experience since I purchased my last new and sealed snes cart back in the day. Seriously awesome.

The game is extremely well designed, from menu's to the characters. It doesn't feel homebrew, and it's quality eclipes many games made my professional developers. The dialog, and characters are pretty decent so far, and the battle system is enjoyable. The enemy sprites are pretty awesome and some of them are huge....really cool stuff. Off the bat, i've found it to be much more enjoyable than many jrps of the era. Also, the random encounters are spaced out enough to where it's not frustrating. Love that.

The PCM soundtrack is really good, and the cart music is definately decent too. Cool feature for sure to have the enhaced soundtrack.

Overall, I soooooooo glad I threw down $35 bucks 2 years ago. I'm sure those of you who didn't will be regreting it, but I hear another edition is in the works down the road.

Congrats the team who put this together, they really rocked it.

Racket.....you gotta find someone with the time, to play it through and give a full review.
I don't... but maybe Booger does?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Man, my copy still hasn't arrived. Those impressions have me even more excited about this.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PixelPixii
32-bit

by PixelPixii Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I really wish I had known about this before so I could have ordered me a copy. Someone said there will be another chance to get a one?

Is there any way I could get a rom to play? I am not as much a collector as I am a player. I don't need the cart but would love to play! If anyone hears of another new game being released in the future please send me a message!

SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:43 pm

PixelPixii wrote:I really wish I had known about this before so I could have ordered me a copy. Someone said there will be another chance to get a one?

Is there any way I could get a rom to play? I am not as much a collector as I am a player. I don't need the cart but would love to play! If anyone hears of another new game being released in the future please send me a message!

The developers made sure that the cart can not be dumped into a rom. One day someone may figure it out, but the current standard way wont work on Pier Solar.

The game is well worth the $45 for the reprint (which will be limited too and will sell out) since like ott0bot said it doesn't feel like homebrew it feels professional.

ott0bot hit it on the head when he said it feels a little like Lunar - thats the exact thing I said to my wife the first time I played it. The story isn't spectacular so far, but it is enjoyable and engaging. The graphics are real nice, especially the sprites, but the vast amount of detail in the background has confused me a couple of times. I relate the confusion to there being too much detail just like in the fan made HD Sonic 2.
What really makes this game fun (so far) is the battle system. The battles have yet to seem tedious and overbearing. With the battles seeming smooth the game flows well, so well that I haven't wanted to stop playing. My initial opinion is that this game is quite fun better than most RPGs on the Genesis and equal to some of the funnest ones on the SNES.
BLOG | BST
PixelPixii
32-bit

by PixelPixii Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 am

The game is well worth the $45 for the reprint (which will be limited too and will sell out) since like ott0bot said it doesn't feel like homebrew it feels professional.

Any idea when the reprint will take place? I will definitely order myself a copy for the second run! I have heard good things about the game

Eric

by Eric Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 am

PixelPixii wrote:Any idea when the reprint will take place? I will definitely order myself a copy for the second run! I have heard good things about the game

The reprint went on sale on New Years Eve. So you can order it now. I think they said it will ship in February.

The reprint looks like it's going with the oldschool grid design.

lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 am

I'm really glad that I preordered mine 2-3 years back; the game is totally worth it. My only complaint is that I would have preferred a plastic clamshell case as opposed to the flimsy cardboard one.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Return to Sega