What did Dreamcast have TOO MUCH of?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mozgus
Next-Gen

What did Dreamcast have TOO MUCH of?

Post by Mozgus »

We all like to name types of games like we think Dreamcast should have had MORE of. Lack of tradtional RPGs is a common complaint. But what sub-genre wore out it's welcome on the Dreamcast?

My vote goes to the generic 3D racer. Dreamcast had probably three dozen of them, all extremely similar in design, and nearly all of them bore me to tears.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, they did have a lot of racers. Too bad there wasn't a 1st-part wheel to go with them.
There was plenty of 2D fighters and shooters, but those are always welcome.
There wasn't a ton, but after Soul Calibur, most of the 3D fighters that came out became worthless.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

racketboy wrote:There wasn't a ton, but after Soul Calibur, most of the 3D fighters that came out became worthless.

Like Soul Fighter and Plasma Sword. Barf!
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

Most racing games on Dreamcast were quite good. Sega Rally 2, F355, Daytona, Sega GT, Le Mans, Flag to Flag, Speed Devils 1+2, even the kart racers like Looney Tunes Space Race and Wacky Races. Spirit of Speed, Monaco GP and Ducati-something were among the only bad ones...so yeah there were a few racing games, but they weren't so shameful. Although I don't really like racing games too much any way.

Mozgus wrote: Like Soul Fighter and Plasma Sword. Barf!

Why is everyone including beat em up's with fighting games nowadays :x ? It's a travesty that they are sometimes considered the same thing. Soul Fighter and games like SoR, Golden Axe, Final Fight, are so much different than true fighting games like Soul Calibur and Third Strike: they really are no closer to each other than a shmup is to a FPS. Fighting games are a "VS" thing, mostly static and with super developed control and gameplay, and "beat em up's " are closer to the standard action adventure title. I guess this meshing sort of happened because "beat em up's" and "fighting games" sound sort of similar...

To the question of the topic, I think Dreamcast had too many <hmm>...great games only released in Japan. :)
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I think the dreamcast didn't wear out its welcome with one genre... but instead suffered from something that I believe the PS had as well (and Sega's older consoles too). To many over marketed, in your face, on every store shelf crappy underdeveloped games.

Games that had very little time put into, very little creativety nurtured for them, where 90% of the budget was spent on marketing and speeding up developement time. How often do you remember going to the store in seeing stacks of just really shitty games

SouthPark
that scooter game
the penguin racing one

heh, the ones IGN seems to keep reviewing on their long list of DC games (it seems to me they are trying to shit all over the console yet again). I remember shelling out hard cash on some games and getting home to find out they royally SUCKED. Some that even come from long series of great games... TimeStalkers comes to mind for that. Oh my dear God did that game piss me off. I love Landstalker and Dark Savior... why oh why did Climax release this pile of trash!?
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

lordofduct wrote:I think the dreamcast didn't wear out its welcome with one genre... but instead suffered from something that I believe the PS had as well (and Sega's older consoles too). To many over marketed, in your face, on every store shelf crappy underdeveloped games.

Games that had very little time put into, very little creativety nurtured for them, where 90% of the budget was spent on marketing and speeding up developement time. How often do you remember going to the store in seeing stacks of just really shitty games

I think it should be said that Sega themselves didn't develop those games with "little creativity". Dreamcast was the system for original titles. Of course, all consoles have to put up with the sort of savage titles you mention, but Dreamcast I find had fewer. I would even say that maybe up to 80% of all US Dreamcast games are at least above average in quality.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

SegaVega wrote:I think it should be said that Sega themselves didn't develop those games with "little creativity". Dreamcast was the system for original titles. Of course, all consoles have to put up with the sort of savage titles you mention, but Dreamcast I find had fewer. I would even say that maybe up to 80% of all US Dreamcast games are at least above average in quality.

And thats what makes it my favorite system ever. Compare it to the 1:10 great:dogshit ratio of PS2.

SegaVega wrote:Most racing games on Dreamcast were quite good. Sega Rally 2, F355, Daytona, Sega GT, Le Mans, Flag to Flag, Speed Devils 1+2, even the kart racers like Looney Tunes Space Race and Wacky Races. Spirit of Speed, Monaco GP and Ducati-something were among the only bad ones...so yeah there were a few racing games, but they weren't so shameful. Although I don't really like racing games too much any way.

Is Sega Rally 2 really worth having if you have Test Drive V-Rally? Test Drive came out a year later and reviews said it was like Sega Rally 2, but better with some simulation aspects. Also, I don't have F355 but it looks well recieved. I better download that. Flag to Flag is said to be pretty poor, so I might skip that. I got Wacky Races but haven't tried that. Looks fun.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

Mozgus wrote:
SegaVega wrote:I think it should be said that Sega themselves didn't develop those games with "little creativity". Dreamcast was the system for original titles. Of course, all consoles have to put up with the sort of savage titles you mention, but Dreamcast I find had fewer. I would even say that maybe up to 80% of all US Dreamcast games are at least above average in quality.

And thats what makes it my favorite system ever. Compare it to the 1:10 great:dogshit ratio of PS2.

Exactly! :) Though I do like PS2.

Sega Rally 2 is good, regardless of the later racers. Especially so if you're an arcade junkie - it's a great port and it really has that Dreamcast-era Sega feel to it. You might not find it as good as V-Rally, but it's still a great title.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

SegaVega wrote:Sega Rally 2 is good, regardless of the later racers. Especially so if you're an arcade junkie - it's a great port and it really has that Dreamcast-era Sega feel to it. You might not find it as good as V-Rally, but it's still a great title.
I guess what I mean, is it different enough to warrant having copies of both games?
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

Yeah, I'd say so. Sega Rally 2 is only a few dollars, and it is a piece of Sega/Dreamcast history. If you're only planning on downloading it though, then yeah, why not (er, unless 56k :? )?
Might as well add it to the collection...