Discolouration

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Geshmaal
8-bit

Discolouration

Post by Geshmaal »

I've noticed that both the SNES and DC have a problem with losing their colour and going a yellowy colour. I recently bought a DC, and I can see a hint of this. Is it down to it being dirty, or is it a chemical or physical reaction of some sort? Is there any way of preventing it? If it can be undone, how so? Thanks in advance :)
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

OMG SOMEBODY TELL THIS GUY TO LOOK MORE ON THE FORUMS, THIS IS BROUGHT UP AT LEAST 5 TIMES A MONTH I SWEAR. THERE IS NO WAY TO PREVENT IT OR REVERSE IT. DEAL WITH IT!!!

edit: lolz this was overkill i know that but i get p'o'd pretty darn easy sometimes.
Last edited by RyaNtheSlayA on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Droid party
Next-Gen

Post by Droid party »

SOMEONE LIKES CAPS LOCK.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

[irony]ZOMG STFU NEWB

LOLZ GEEZ!!!1111!1ELEeveNTyONe!!!!221!!221@!![/irony]

*Ahem* Please go back to the playpen Ryan and pick up all the toys you threw out while your at it.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
The Apprentice
128-bit

Post by The Apprentice »

Droid party wrote:SOMEONE LIKES CAPS LOCK.

"It's like cruise-control for awesome!"
Hatta wrote:Die Hard Arcade has Deep Scan in it. That's like retro inside retro. They must have heard we liked retro (dawg).
Jrecee wrote:What I like to do is knit little sweaters to put on the games.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

Niode wrote:[irony]ZOMG STFU NEWB

LOLZ GEEZ!!!1111!1ELEeveNTyONe!!!!221!!221@!![/irony]

*Ahem* Please go back to the playpen Ryan and pick up all the toys you threw out while your at it.

That tickled my funny bone~ :lol:
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

The Apprentice wrote:
Droid party wrote:SOMEONE LIKES CAPS LOCK.

"It's like cruise-control for awesome!"

xD Yes I do =P
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Geshmaal
8-bit

Post by Geshmaal »

When I used the search function, I didn't get any results, so I thought making my own thread would answer my question. Then I got yelled at via the internet with capslock. But the yelling also answered my question. If there's no way to prevent the console losing its colour, why do some get discoloured and others don't? Maybe I could do some awesome design on mine to hide the yellowness...hmm...
Zer
32-bit

Post by Zer »

Geshmaal wrote:When I used the search function, I didn't get any results, so I thought making my own thread would answer my question. Then I got yelled at via the internet with capslock. But the yelling also answered my question. If there's no way to prevent the console losing its colour, why do some get discoloured and others don't? Maybe I could do some awesome design on mine to hide the yellowness...hmm...

My guess is some people treat their consoles like shit or put them in shit environments and some don't. I've never had or seen a discolored console, though, so I'm not exactly a expert on the subject. Might just be problems some had and some didn't.

My suggestion is to cover the console entirely in black with a Sharpie and post pics.
this space intentionally left blank.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Geshmaal wrote:When I used the search function, I didn't get any results, so I thought making my own thread would answer my question. Then I got yelled at via the internet with capslock. But the yelling also answered my question. If there's no way to prevent the console losing its colour, why do some get discoloured and others don't? Maybe I could do some awesome design on mine to hide the yellowness...hmm...

Ignore Ryan, he's a little immature. This topic is asked on a very frequent basis, I don't know why a mod doesn't sticky a thread it would solve a lot of hassle. I think the only problem here was that you didn't vary your search terms enough to find the threads, most are in the Nintendo section and are about Snes Yellowing generally, that will bring up a few search hits.

To be slightly more helpful, the cheap plastic used in some consoles tends to yellow after a while due to it having either a reaction with sunlight or oxygen or even tobacco if it is kept in a house with smokers. Tobacco just stains the console though and it may be possible to clean it with some dilute alcohol and a non abrasive cloth. The others though, you're out of luck due to it being a permanent change of state in the plastic. My only advice then is to consider painting the console to hide the yellowing (and make it look sweet in the process).
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys