SEGA Wondermega compatibility

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
sybnios
8-bit

SEGA Wondermega compatibility

Post by sybnios »

Hi guys,

I am desperate and need your help! I own the SEGA Wondermega, the original version, and I have a serious issue. I cannot play my USA and PAL SEGA CD games! With my PAL SEGA CD I used CD+Plus adaptor and I could play all regions. But when I try to use it with Wondermega a message occurs that this adaptor is not compatible with this CD system!!!!

Is there any other adaptor I can use or any other way to play PAL and USA CD games on Wondermega besides modding. I do not dare to touch such a jewel :)

Cheers
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Re: SEGA Wondermega compatibility

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

That is pretty cool you have a SEGA Wondermega. I hope ya find a fix to your problem.. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
sybnios
8-bit

Post by sybnios »

Dakinggamer87 wrote:That is pretty cool you have a SEGA Wondermega. I hope ya find a fix to your problem.. 8)

Thanks man :D I found it once on ebay and since I have never seen again one and although it cost a fortune I did not miss the chance owning it. It is my favourite console.

I just hope I'll find a way to play all region games though :( I love when I connect my Megadrive and SEGA CD but it takes a lot of space and plugs :P

You also have a very nice collection of systems yourself ;)
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

hi guys upping this. i have a compatibility question for the wondermega, but not for the CD, rather the carts. i know genesis carts could fit the slot, but will they work? even the post 1992 genesis carts? how about pirate carts? i know there are some region lockouts with genesis or mega drive and would need like a game genie, however i have no idea for the wondermega. anyone with experience in this?
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

arcadifvid wrote:hi guys upping this. i have a compatibility question for the wondermega, but not for the CD, rather the carts. i know genesis carts could fit the slot, but will they work? even the post 1992 genesis carts? how about pirate carts? i know there are some region lockouts with genesis or mega drive and would need like a game genie, however i have no idea for the wondermega. anyone with experience in this?

It's game specific for carts.
Games before 1992 won't be blocked, but will run in Japanese mode if supported (text or other differences)

Once in a while games were region free in other countries, and re-releases.
For example Street Fighter II is region free in Japan. As well as Classic Collection version Gunstar Heroes.
Lum fan.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

ouch good thing i checked here first.. almost bought some games that are post 92.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

arcadifvid wrote:ouch good thing i checked here first.. almost bought some games that are post 92.

In other worlds, check each game. Similar to Xbox 360 for a modern comparison.
Lum fan.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

well thats weird i bought a set of games, mostly post-92 games, and half of them don't work. in fact, the wondermega would not turn on (no lights on anything). i thought it was my power, but as soon as i switch to some other game that normally work (or no cart), it would turn on again.

i've never heard of something like this. i presume this is wondermega's way of protection?
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

I don't know. Software lockout pops up an error message from the game.

Japan's Mega Drive 1 however used its power switch as a "cartridge lock". It stopped unplugging a game while on, then later kept out most western games (exceptions include EA games, Sonic & Knuckles, or the 32X).
Lum fan.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

sybnios wrote:Hi guys,

I am desperate and need your help! I own the SEGA Wondermega, the original version, and I have a serious issue. I cannot play my USA and PAL SEGA CD games! With my PAL SEGA CD I used CD+Plus adaptor and I could play all regions. But when I try to use it with Wondermega a message occurs that this adaptor is not compatible with this CD system!!!!

Is there any other adaptor I can use or any other way to play PAL and USA CD games on Wondermega besides modding. I do not dare to touch such a jewel :)

Cheers

Look into the Mega Everdrive. IIRC, it will let you bypass the region lock for Sega CD games.