The Pressing SEGA Questions

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

The Pressing SEGA Questions

Post by Dikdikvandik »

After my Last Bronx thread I got thinking, because I'm in a transitional period and have way too much time on my hands......

Anyways There are many great mysteries with Sega we can discuss. Some of these are mine, some of these people have brought up over the years.

Why didn't Revenge of Death Adder get a Saturn Port?

Why was Sega so reckless with their source code?

Why didn't the Saturn get any follow ups to Genesis classics?

If the Dreamcast is thinking, what is it thinking about?

Why wasn't Phil Collins and or Peter Gabriel involved in Genesis Marketing?

Why did Bernie Stolar sabotage the Sega Saturn? He was an Ex Sony Employee....Mole?

What ever happened to all those planned Saturn Ports to the PS1 Sega discussed?

Why Streets of Rage 4 now when Sega shut down at least 3 other attempts to make it?

Why do Sonic fans get Sonic game design better than Sonic team does?

Why are Sonic fans so annoying?

Is Sonic Lost World Sonic Xtreme?

Will Ryu Ga Gotoku studio ever realize there's more Shinjuku beyond Kabukicho?

Why couldn't Sega Of Japan and Sega USA get along, what went wrong?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: The Pressing SEGA Questions

Post by Gunstar Green »

Why didn't Revenge of Death Adder get a Saturn Port?

Because we live in a cold, uncaring universe.

Why was Sega so reckless with their source code?

They weren't the only ones back then honestly. Not many people really put any thought into stuff being preserved or that anyone would even want to preserve it, especially in Japan. Sega's hardly alone on this one.

They tried a few, like Shinobi Legions and Shining Force III. They didn't put a lot of priority on Sonic because Yuji Naka thought NiGHTS would be the future and that certainly didn't pan out. Sega just seemed to prefer making new IPs during their console days and honestly that was one of the things about them that was rad.

If the Dreamcast is thinking, what is it thinking about?

Probably how much it wishes it could think more quietly.

Why wasn't Phil Collins and or Peter Gabriel involved in Genesis Marketing?

Probably monies.

Why did Bernie Stolar sabotage the Sega Saturn? He was an Ex Sony Employee....Mole?

He just really sucked at reading the room. It seems like Sega of America and Sega of Japan weren't on the same page with the Saturn, or even reading the same book and it certainly didn't help that Stolar was not very good at his job.

What ever happened to all those planned Saturn Ports to the PS1 Sega discussed?

Dunno. Probably dropped them when they decided to go ahead with the Dreamcast.

Why Streets of Rage 4 now when Sega shut down at least 3 other attempts to make it?

Probably the success of Sonic Mania coupled with nobody at Sega really caring what they do with the IP anymore.

Why do Sonic fans get Sonic game design better than Sonic team does?

Because they actually like the games and know what they like about them probably.

Most of the obsessives are teens probably. Just avoid deviant art and you won't run into any.

Is Sonic Lost World Sonic Xtreme?

Nah not at all, it's more like Sonic Bootleg Mario Galaxy.

Will Ryu Ga Gotoku studio ever realize there's more Shinjuku beyond Kabukicho?

Never.

Why couldn't Sega Of Japan and Sega USA get along, what went wrong?

Cultural differences and setting strategies for their respective markets that were too far apart from what the other side of the ocean wanted.
Ack

Post by Ack »

More importantly, will the US ever get an official release of Segagaga?
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

Ack wrote:More importantly, will the US ever get an official release of Segagaga?

Amen brother
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ack wrote:More importantly, will the US ever get an official release of Segagaga?

I've played it, and it wouldn't be worth it. That game would be shit on so hard. Even by a lot of Sega fans. It's quite funny (Yu Suzuki lobster), but it's honestly not that good, as a game.

Gunstar Green wrote:Will Ryu Ga Gotoku studio ever realize there's more Shinjuku beyond Kabukicho?

Never

Mostly because Kabukicho is pretty much synonymous with the Yakuza. The rest of Shinjuku is completely different. I lived in Yoyogi for a while, literally a couple hundred feet from Shinjuku, and the rest of the town is very different from Kabukicho.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Was the Saturn's cartridge slot initially intended to be compatible with Genesis and 32X games?

Sometimes I imagine the alternate universe where it was. The 32X wouldn't have been seen as such a rip-off, since it would have *actually* done its job and served as a stepping stone for the next console generation. 32X would probably have gotten more games since Sega could market them to Saturn owners. If that happened, Sega probably wouldn't have gotten trounced so hard in America after the Genesis.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Nemoide wrote:Was the Saturn's cartridge slot initially intended to be compatible with Genesis and 32X games?

Sometimes I imagine the alternate universe where it was. The 32X wouldn't have been seen as such a rip-off, since it would have *actually* done its job and served as a stepping stone for the next console generation. 32X would probably have gotten more games since Sega could market them to Saturn owners. If that happened, Sega probably wouldn't have gotten trounced so hard in America after the Genesis.

I don't think it was. I think the expansion slot in general was just for things like memory backup, RAM expansion, NetLink, or whatever else they would have come with at the time. I don't think Sega had any intention of having it play games. I tried to look up if anybody was ever able to load up a game on the cartridge slot (genesis or homebrew, anything), but no luck. I think the game has to do through all CD hardware.

In hindsight, it would have been nice if they ditched the 32x all together, and just had it to where the Saturn cartridge could be backward compatible with Genesis games and maybe enhanced games (32x games). Maybe even have the Saturn be backward compatible with Sega CD games. It would have been expensive, but probably better than doing the 32x. Nonetheless, probably impossible lol
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

I've wondered this too.

I never knew Sonic fans were annoying or that they were hard core "Sonic fans" in general. I'm tempted to look them and see what they are about lol
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Mad_Hatter wrote:
Nemoide wrote:Was the Saturn's cartridge slot initially intended to be compatible with Genesis and 32X games?

I don't think it was. I think the expansion slot in general was just for things like memory backup, RAM expansion, NetLink, or whatever else they would have come with at the time. I don't think Sega had any intention of having it play games. I tried to look up if anybody was ever able to load up a game on the cartridge slot (genesis or homebrew, anything), but no luck. I think the game has to do through all CD hardware.

It's certainly true that no extant version of the Sega Saturn can boot a Genesis or 32X game from the cartridge port.

That said, C'mon! We all know what Sega was like in the 1990s. They would throw practically anything at the wall to see what sticks. Sega Nomad, Sega CDX, JVC WonderMega, Aiwa MegaCD, Sega Pico. They even shoehorned Sega Genesis hardware into claw machine games. They came up with so many ways to combine Genesis hardware with other things, that it's not unreasonable to imagine a Saturn and Genesis combo unit. I bet at some point, someone at Sega of Japan R&D must have pitched a Sega Saturn / Genesis combo unit.

As far as we know, such a device was never made, but we still find out about Sega prototype hardware even into recent years. The Sega Neptune was something of a tall tale for a long time. The Sega Pluto was supposedly just a legend until a prototype surfaced a few years back. I just found out last year that there was a slim version of the Saturn released in Japan.

It's fun to dream, anyway. I guess that's what this thread is all about. :mrgreen:
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

So I made an identical thread on Obscure gamers, Assembler's replacement community. If you want some Sega Knowledge bombs...

BAM
https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/t ... tions.855/