Top Ten Sega Genesis Games

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Top Ten Sega Genesis Games

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

It's funny... I do indeed think of the Sega CD as a separate system. As do most people, it seems. But everyone seems to lump the NEC 16-bit library together. I hear both the card and CD games referred to as "PC Engine games" or "TurboGrafx games." I wonder if it's all due to naming conventions. Imagine if the Sega CD had been called the Genesis CD.

Anyway,

32X would change nothing. :lol:

If Sega CD were included, I’d probably swap something out for Lunar: Eternal Blue. That game is awesome.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

- Castlevania Bloodlines
- Contra Hard Corps
- Mega Turrican
- MUSHA
- Ristar
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
- Streets of Rage 2
- Streets of Rage 3
- Thunder Force IV
- Vectorman

12 in no real order, some of my top favorites that come to mind. Ecco the Dolphin I really like but I might prefer the CD version, since that's the only one I've beaten all the way through and it has checkpoints in between the levels, unlike the Genesis version if I recall correctly. There's also some multi platform stuff I like more on Genesis, like Earthworm Jim 1 (whereas I like 2 more on the SNES) and maybe some others, but yeah the list above are all exclusives. Might be a few I'm forgetting.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Interesting to read other people's lists.
Yeah, 32x doesn't change anything - MKII, Blackthorne and Tempo still don't make the cut.
I think TG16 was often sold with the CD addon here in Canada, maybe later than the core system came out in the USA. At least everyone I know that owned them had both. Sega CD seemed to come along much later than the Genesis, and whenever someone got one it changed the gaming drastically - it was incredible when I got it and definitely made me favor the Sega console for a couple of years in my gaming.
If it's included, I'd easily do a few swaps. I'd definitely bump Phantasy Star IV for Lunar TSS, Earthworm Jim for EWJ: SE (great music) & Light Crusader for Popful Mail.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

PresidentLeever wrote:Langrisser II – Masaya

I almost included this. I think Der Langrisser is the better game, though.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

My list would DEFINITELY be different if Sega CD games count, I'm a big fan of the system and for as much as I love chiptunes, the redbook audio with 16-bit graphics really appeals to me. Popful Mail, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD make the cut. I'll also include Ecco the Dolphin which would PROBABLY be on my original Genesis list but I've actually only played the Sega CD version! And I'll throw in Earthworm Jim which would have been on the Genesis list if not for the fact that I prefer the Sega CD! Part of me want to include Sonic CD, but I don't think it CLEARLY unseats Sonic 2 or 3&K.

I have a nostalgic fondness for the 32X but none of the games make the cut. The best things on the system are "pretty good" but nothing's great.

So I guess my new list would be:
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
  • Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Popful Mail
  • Shining Force CD
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Streets of Rage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I hate to pull a marurun here, but the PCE Popful Mail destroys all others. Makes the Sega CD game look like a joke. A joke!!!
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I hate to pull a marurun here

Hah! No you don’t! You like it. Admit it...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I'm not sure why everyone is so giddy to make this even harder. You know what happens when you mix the Genesis library with the Sega CD library? You get explosions. Side effects may include loss of life. The universe simply wasn't meant to handle the level Awesometellenium Energy of their combined forces.

Side note: If I see a list that includes Sega CD games, but none of them are Dungeon Explorer, I will, "REEE."
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Surprised to not see Snatcher on anyone's refined CD lists. Figured it was the stereotypical crowning gem of the console.
Nemoide wrote:My list would DEFINITELY be different if Sega CD games count, I'm a big fan of the system and for as much as I love chiptunes, the redbook audio with 16-bit graphics really appeals to me. Popful Mail, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Shining Force CD make the cut. I'll also include Ecco the Dolphin which would PROBABLY be on my original Genesis list but I've actually only played the Sega CD version! And I'll throw in Earthworm Jim which would have been on the Genesis list if not for the fact that I prefer the Sega CD! Part of me want to include Sonic CD, but I don't think it CLEARLY unseats Sonic 2 or 3&K.

I have a nostalgic fondness for the 32X but none of the games make the cut. The best things on the system are "pretty good" but nothing's great.

So I guess my new list would be:
  • Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
  • Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
  • Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD)
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Popful Mail
  • Shining Force CD
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Streets of Rage

Did you play Shining Force II and if so is there a particular reason why you enjoyed CD more?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've never played Snatcher or Dungeon Explorer... maybe eventually.

My biggest reason for including Shining Force CD because I'm playing that right now and it's been a good long while since I played SF II. I think of all the Shining Force games being pretty similar when it comes to gameplay, but the Shining Force CD seems to be longer and has snazzy redbook audio? **shrug** Plus I like how the two main chapters are connected to each other. Even though it's lacking in towns/RPG elements, I'm loving it.
Last edited by Nemoide on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.