SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Re: Building Sega Master System Hidden Gems list

by PresidentLeever Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Well again I'd love to see Golvellius and Zillion on the primary list, those are a couple of favs and well regarded on SMS fansites too. I would rate them on par with games like Zelda 1, Faxanadu, Rygar (NES), Impossible Mission, Willow, Bionic Commando and Metroid. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the list.
http://www.smstributes.co.uk/view_page.asp?articleid=69
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16T6 ... Hg5TE/edit
Hopefully that last one worked.

@Gunstar Green: I meant that it's a precursor to Sonic in how fast you can move and the way acceleration works, though Sonic definitely tightened up and improved on the formula used.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 am

My problem with Golvellius and Zillion being on the main list is they're not hidden gems. Basically every retro gamer who likes the Master System knows about them nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, they're great, but are they really hidden? That probably applies to a few others on the list too if you ask me (Bubble Bobble? Double Dragon? Those are quite well known amongst SMS players for being 'better' than the NES versions.)
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:53 am

alienjesus wrote:My problem with Golvellius and Zillion being on the main list is they're not hidden gems. Basically every retro gamer who likes the Master System knows about them nowadays.

Don't get me wrong, they're great, but are they really hidden? That probably applies to a few others on the list too if you ask me (Bubble Bobble? Double Dragon? Those are quite well known amongst SMS players for being 'better' than the NES versions.)

I totally understand that, but my goal with these guides is to also be useful to those that aren't familiar with the system.
Now to help your point a bit, I did include them as honorable mentions on the Defined Guide and I plan on segmenting them out as such on the Hidden Gems -- a section near the bottom with the disclaimer. Because of the relative obscurity of the system itself, games like these are kinda in a middle group limbo. Not especially mainstream, but not truly hidden.

And for most systems, I would totally be in the same boat on games like Bubble Bobble. But I would like to highlight a few excellent ports, but again have them restricted to a "demoted" bottom section.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:07 pm

I think Golvellius is a little less known at least in North America. Zillion definitely is one of the "defined" games. It's always one of the first titles discussed whenever someone brings up the Master System.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Racketboy said what I wanted to say to alienjesus, SMS is already kind of obscure (in the US and some other places anyway) and not exactly gaining in that regard unless something crazy happens.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:58 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:Racketboy said what I wanted to say to alienjesus, SMS is already kind of obscure (in the US and some other places anyway) and not exactly gaining in that regard unless something crazy happens.

Like Sega releasing a Master collection instead of another Genesis/Megadrive Collection?
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:34 am

Yeah. I wanna say I would get that immediately but they'd probably focus on their own arcade ports and skip a bunch of great games.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Golvellius at one point until the forced 64bitting of the iOS app family came around did have a NA presence as it was a nicely done dotemu conversion on that mobile format and it looked and played amazingly well. Still irks me they never updated it.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am

Saw a recommendation for Submarine Attack -- anyone played it?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Long time ago, not the last time I had a SMS though. It's a decent underwater shooter basically instead of being in space.
Return to Sega