Analogue has announced the Mega SG

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marurun

Analogue has announced the Mega SG

Post by marurun »

Yup, Analogue just announced, officially, their FPGA-driven Genesis clone.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/ ... e-mega-sg/
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Analogue has announced the Mega SG

Post by bmoc »

I wonder if the inevitable jailbroken firmware will run Sega CD games off an SD card? I bet this would look goofy attached to an actual Sega CD unit. It looks way smaller than a model 1 or 2 Genesis.

I've been hoping for something to come along that would allow me to consolidate my Master System/Genesis/Sega CD/32X setup. The Polymega didn't quite get there. This might do it!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, while it's very cool that allow it to hook up (although I was secretly hoping they would offer a CD add-on of some sort) I wish we could see mockups of them hooked up.

For 32X, I completely understand their reasoning, but it would have got me to sign up. If there was a way to reduce the quantity and size of power adapters as well, that would be awesome. Fingers crossed for them to add support to it later, but I'm guessing will be a lower priority vs them possibly knocking out solutions for TG16/Neo-Geo/etc

The Master System support isn't surprising, but a nice benefit.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I wish it was something like a jvc x eye and I'd be all over it. My model 2 sega cd is hit or miss sometimes so I wanted an all in one unit with hdmi support.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

I'm borderline here. Like I loved my Super NT but plan on selling it as part of my process to downsize my collections. I would keep it if they added more system cores to the jailbreak. But now here's a system if jail broken would have most of the retro cores I wanted on my Super NT plus possible Sega Cd core? I do love the 8bitdo wireless snes controller and looking forward to their Genesis controller reveal. If I knew what the guys who jailbroke the Super NT have in mind for this, maybe.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Apparently a bunch of assholes in the PC Engine community pissed of Kevtris, so I am not sure an FPGA PCE is coming soon.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Apparently a bunch of assholes in the PC Engine community pissed of Kevtris, so I am not sure an FPGA PCE is coming soon.

Why? Is there a summary of this somewhere?
marurun

Post by marurun »

It was over on the still mostly private but now somewhat decimated pcenginefx forums. IIRC he popped in some time ago to discuss and was trolled by the resident trolls (too many of them).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well that’s too bad. Hopefully he will discard that experience. He wouldn’t really be creating the product for that demographic necessarily. Big picture I would like to think these projects are mostly (but not exclusively) for people that aren’t already deep into the console and eventually be a more accessible solution to aging/dying hardware in the decades to come.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

racketboy wrote:Big picture I would like to think these projects are mostly (but not exclusively) for people that aren’t already deep into the console and eventually be a more accessible solution to aging/dying hardware in the decades to come.

So here’s the thing though:
Genesis hardware isn’t dying; in fact, it’s incredibly robust. I’ve collected Sega Genesis hardware for years now. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed that a Sega Genesis console holds up really well over time.

You know it doesn’t hold up as well?
SegaCD! These things break left and right! Nearly every SegaCD I’ve ever found in the wild was broken. We need a SegaCD optical drive emulator way more than we need another Genesis clone. It’s a shame we don’t see more SegaCD love. We get an expansion slot on the bottom of the Mega Sg, but we are expected to bring our own SegaCD!? :? If a nerd like me who has collected Sega hardware for years can hardly find a working SegaCD, how the hell is anyone else going to find one?

You know what else doesn’t hold up as well? Sega game gear! I think Sega chose to build the game gear capacitor factory on top of an Indian burial ground and staff the facility with red-shirted ensigns. I’ll give kevtris credit for his game gear adapter. That’s the feature that I’m really impressed with.

In fact, if you just skipped past the Genesis part, and you called this a consolized game gear fpga clone, then you’ve sold me.