Affordable GOOD Saturn Games. any Region

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Affordable GOOD Saturn Games. any Region

Post by Dikdikvandik »

A year ago I got my Framemiester and it took me about 11 Months before I finally said, "My S-Video cable is enough I'm hooking this bad boy up." So I got a pack of batteries and off I went. I've used my Framemiester more in the last 2 months than the year I've had it. While my Saturn isn't going in through RGB (My newly obtained Model 1 High Definition Graphics Genesis is) It looks fantastic through the Framemiester with the right profile (Still some issues see http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52326 )

I hadn't bought any Saturn games for a while because the last expensive import I picked up came back as a disc rotted Salamander collection, Something sky rocketing in Price and a collection I'll have to emulate. But I have/had nearly $1300 in credit from eStarland so aside from preordering just about everything I'd want to play until the end of the year I grabbed a few Saturn games.

I got Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon really cheap at about $23 It's very Japanese heavy but quite playable, some Hot girls *well hot by low res poly standards anyway) It plays nice with my Framemiester. I enjoy this one a lot. I think it's a game made by former AM2 employees. It's like an off brand Fighter's Mega Mix.

Lupin the 3rd: Sage of the Pyramid still has new copies in the wild a few people have said it's a solid game but I know nothing about it. The new copies on Amazon are around $35.

Planet Joker is a poorly reviewed shmup but it's cheap and to my eyes doesn't look too bad. It's around $22-30.

Of course Japanese versions of expensive American titles are way cheaper. Guardian Heroes my absolute favorite treasure game is around $30-40. House of the dead is much cheaper and so on.

That's all off the top of my head. I was lucky to get Dodonpachi shortly after I got my Saturn in 2011 and that one is skyrocketing. Some say the PS1 version is superior but I think the PS1 Dodonpachi and Donpachi look terrible I have both on PS3 from a Japanese PSN account I forgot the password for.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Affordable GOOD Saturn Games. any Region

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here are some good, affordable NA titles:

Baku Baku
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Bubble Bobble featuring Rainbow Islands
Bust a Move 2
Clockwork Knight
Crusader No Remorse
D
Daytona USA Championship Edition
Gex
Hexen
Fighters Megamix
Last Bronx
Magic Carpet
Mortal Kombat II
Nights
Night Warriors Darkstalkers Revenge
Scorcher
Sonic 3D Blast
Street Fighter Alpha
Tetris Plus
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Cop
Virtual Cop 2
Virtua Fighter Remix
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtual On Cuber Troopers
Virtua Racing
Winter Heat
WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game

Disc-only copies of all these games are less than $20, but CIB versions will be more expensive, of course.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I always liked Grid Runner & AMOK.

The former is bomber man meets "tag"... with weapons & power ups. The later is a mech game that reminds me of the sub & tank parts of Star Fox (but no rails).

I also had a lot of fun with Tomb Raider. It gets a bad rep, but I found it fairly comparable to the PS1 port.

All 3 of those have historically been cheap unless I missed a spike recently.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Hey, that's the only version of Tomb Raider that I own. I think it was the 1st console port (if only barely), so that makes it neat in my book. Twas also the 1st version I came across (watched a friend play a bit back then).
Like thousands of other games, I haven't played through it yet. But seems at home on Saturn.

Heh, "Cuber Troopers" (virtual on typo)... that's a parody game that could be fun (I'm thinking chibi robots). Make it 4-player and you have the next Smash Bros.-like party brawler.

Don't have many recommendations myself; the Saturn is an expensive beast any way you cut it.
I do think Parodius is a good value though (and a fun 2-player game).
Oh, and it has my favorite port of Samurai Shodown/Spirits IV, if you like fighting games. Fighters are why I initially got a Saturn and PAR+ cart.

I've been playing the Doom port for my Saturn gaming as of late. So my recs are to be taken as possibly insane ;)
...just another lost soul...
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

god, i remember when you could say "most imports" here and be right...

honestly? mod your system to play CD-R's, explore the library at your leisure. buy stuff when you see it a price that strikes you as fair...cause so much of it has sadly gotten stupid. it's a mess.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Here are my top recommendations that can be found for under $20 each:

Bust-A-Move 2 - one of my all-time favorite puzzle games. Cute characters, great music, and a total blast to play with multiple modes. It's a simple game, but it does everything right. Don't be put off by the nightmare fuel cover art of the American version.

Fighting Vipers - easily one of the best 3D fighting games on the system. It's an AM2 game, so it has similarities to Virtua Fighter, but it's different enough to be worth a look. The gimmick in this one is that characters wear armor that can be knocked off, and can be slammed against the walls of rings for extra damage.

NiGHTS into Dreams (Japanese) - the American version is still on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but Japanese is even more affordable. This is the Saturn game I've probably sunk the most time into and is one of my absolute favorite games of all-time. I love the graphics and designs, when I was a kid I found it so much fun to just explore around the dream-worlds and find little hidden touches, and I appreciated the story, bare-bones as it might seem to today's audiences. But the game ALSO has provides some fantastic arcade-style action! There used to be a website where folks would submit high-scores and if you like playing for points, this game delivers.

Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei (Japanese) - the American version has climbed in value, but you can still get the Japanese version for cheap! This is a 3D first-person rail shooter with the gimmick that you can turn around on top of the dragon and enemies will come at you from 360-degrees. This game took everything the first one did and made it bigger & better. It has branching paths for added replayability.

Puyo Puyo 2 (Japanese) - this one is actually still CHEAP-CHEAP and it's another excellent puzzle game. The Puyo Puyo series never made a big impact in the US, but it's good! If you've ever played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Kirby's Avalanche, you know what to expect. Except the original versions have original characters that I think are fun & cute!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Baku Baku and a competitor of similar skill of falling block puzzles.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I second Fighting Vipers.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Fighters Megamix usually isn't too expensive, and while it's unbalanced as all getup it is SO much fun.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.