Undead line?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Genesis man

Undead line?

Post by Genesis man »

Hey guys, I’m a big shoot em up fan. I’ve been looking at mega drive shmups lately and this one has caught my eye. Seems like a lot of the difficulty comes from your charectsr moving really slow? Anyone like this game?

Also if you have other hidden gem or practically unknown shoot em ups to suggest (mega drive or genesis) I’d be all ears thanks.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Undead line?

Post by dsheinem »

Genesis man wrote:Hey guys, I’m a big shoot em up fan. I’ve been looking at mega drive shmups lately and this one has caught my eye. Seems like a lot of the difficulty comes from your charectsr moving really slow? Anyone like this game?

Also if you have other hidden gem or practically unknown shoot em ups to suggest (mega drive or genesis) I’d be all ears thanks.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-sega ... up-library
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Twinkle Tale, and Elemental Master are the most similar to Undead Line, in terms of how they play. I don't really know what's "practically unknown" on the console these days, but I'd guess most of the Toaplan games--Twin Hawk, Twin Cobra, Grind Stormer, Fire Shark, Slap Fight, Truxton, Zero Wing, Hellfire--are relatively unknown to most. Truxton and Zero Wing are probably fairly well known for their memes, but I don't think all that many people have actually played them. I personally really like Twin Hawk, although most people probably wouldn't. Grind Stormer is pretty cool, but doesn't look all too great on the Genesis.

I've been playing Fire Shark a bit recently, and it's some vintage shooting goodness.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Undeadline is awesome, but it is damn tough. Big tip would be to pick up the spread weapon early, and then just pick up shields as you come across them.

Toaplan's ports on the Genesis are hit or miss, but some of them are top-notch imo. My favorites are:

Hellfire
Fire Shark
Slap Fight MD
Grindstormer/V-V

A few other Genesis shmups worth mentioning, aside the obvious Thunder Force/MUSHA:

Vapor Trail (Data East) - I love this game. Its a pretty simple vertical shooter, but it has a roll mechanic that is neat. The standout here is the music, the stage and boss tracks are absolutely killer. (DECO's in-house band Gamadelic does a live cover of the stage theme that is bliss)

Verytex - Pretty standard, if not slightly subpar vertical shooter, but with a Sakimoto soundtrack that, by itself, makes the game worth playing.

Eliminate Down and Gleylancer are the two big boys when it comes to JP exclusives. Imo ED is the better game, but both are quality.

Gaiares is also really good, with a ton of variety to its play, and its pretty damn tough to boot.

Also Divine Sealing, obviously
Genesis man

Post by Genesis man »

Sweet guys thanks ! I’ll look into those games you suggested. Today I beat lightening force (thunder force 4) again. Love that game so much. I was really young during my genesis days but luckily was able to rent that one often.