Help with Dreamcast system

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Help with Dreamcast system

Post by CD AGES »

So i recently aquired a Dreamcast system from a local seller. It's a Japanese system (or at least most of it is anyway), but it can only run US GD-rom games. Even more strange is that the unit lacks a serial barcode as well the manufacture label located at the bottom of the unit. The casing is JPN, as well as the modem and the PSU, but it only reads US software. I opened it to see if perhaps someone had simply done a case swap, but i see no signs of any worn screws or anything tampered with. It's an early Rev 0 model so its got the metal fan and cooling pipes.

Any chance Sega sent out JPN systems flashed with US bios back in 98-99 for press purposes before the US launch?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
553650850 2.jpg
553650850 2.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
20180720_003654 1.jpg
20180720_003654 1.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Help with Dreamcast system

Post by pierrot »

CD AGES wrote:Any chance Sega sent out JPN systems flashed with US bios back in 98-99 for press purposes before the US launch?

That's a weird one. I've never seen anything like that, but I don't see any other way it could exist. It must have been an early model meant for demonstration and advertising purposes, or maybe it was part of that Hollywood Video rental program including Sonic Adventure Limited Edition. Those are the only two situations I can really envision birthing that Frankensetein's monster.