SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Gain Ground: Arcade or PS2 version?

by dunpeal2064 Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:49 am

Between arcade and ps2 specifically, I would take arcade. I'm just not a fan of the re-done graphics. Though it is worth noting that the SA releases are usually pretty sound mechanically, and that release has an option to disable a bug from the arcade version. It also has a killer soundtrack, and some cool bonuses of its own, as well as letting you mess with the view angle. So its certainly worth considering, I'd imagine if you like the new graphics this would be the one to play.

Between all the ports, though, I would probably take the Genesis version. It has a fair amount of extra content (Stuff even absent from the ps2 release), and is still pretty challenging in its home version, not to mention its Hard mode. The PCE release does sound really nice, but from what I remember it is notably easier and doesn't have any extra content.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 am

I ended up playing the Arcade version. Man, while the Mega Drive version is fun, it's far too slow compared to the original.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, its a step down for sure. The PCE version would drive you mad :lol:

The Genesis Hard mode is worth checking out, as it lets you start with every character and kind of built out your squad. It picks up the pace a tad bit too iirc.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I need to look more into the Sega Ages Series as I didn't even know there was a Gain Ground remake. I guess that makes it the arcade original for me. :lol:
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Return to Sega