SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Dragon Force

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:25 pm

I have had this game for a while, tried to play it back in 2007 and couldn't figure it out after 30 minutes. I tried again today and still struggled. The manual isn't helping me much, so I'm asking for beginner tips, strategies, or anything to get me going in this game. I've never played a strategy game like this before and had the same problem with Dark Wizard.
I really want to figure this game out, so ant advise would be appreciated.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Dragon Force

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I have had this game for a while, tried to play it back in 2007 and couldn't figure it out after 30 minutes. I tried again today and still struggled. The manual isn't helping me much, so I'm asking for beginner tips, strategies, or anything to get me going in this game. I've never played a strategy game like this before and had the same problem with Dark Wizard.
I really want to figure this game out, so ant advise would be appreciated.

I am here to help! Alright, so first and foremost, who you pick really changes the difficulty. If you play someone like Teiris, that is super easy mode as rival factions will join you super easily. Gongos is hard mode as all the other kingdoms nearby have advantage over beast men.

Each kingdom has their own unique story mode, so each one is a very fresh and different experience.

The manual is going to help you with unit advantage and disadvantage. The chart in the back is the most vital tool at your disposal.

During the interim of the action stages, it is incredibly important to talk to all your generals to see if they are happy. Story based generals (your starter generals and any rival kingdoms starter generals) will never be unhappy. If they are unhappy, give them some medals to improve their max unit capacity (medals are earned for winning fights.)

Talk to all your captives so that they can join your team. Some won't for a while so don't give up.

Some generals can also search for items in the castles that they are stationed in. They can also search for generals to recruit. Early on, the pool to recruit is large but quickly dries up. Searching though can lead to items that can allow you to have a different unit type (You can switch back and forth but not mix them). This is crucial to get units like dragons or zombies which are the best units in the game with only 1 or 2 weaknesses. Also those same generals can fortify castles which increases the max amount of units that can be distributed amongst your stationed generals there. This is a late game tactic to fortify battle torn castles.

In the battlefield a defense is the best offense. Starting off, I tend to do a special formation, which makes a giant square of my units in front of my general and have them standby. Their attack animation happens faster then the enemies this way, because they have to move and then stop and then attack whereas your guys just have to attack.

If your units are ranged units like mages or archers, once you've depleted the enemy units, advance them And right before they get to the general make then stop so they can pelt them with impunity as the generals can't move

Also, know what the enemy generals specials are and plan accordingly. If they have a big wave attack, when his special bar fills, disperse your soldiers so that they move to the top and bottom of the playfield to avoid getting wiped out and then have them regroup and advance.

This is a starter... let me know if you have other questions.

What kingdom did you pick by the way?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:40 pm

I started with Wein. I followed the strategy in the back of the manual. I took the castle with one group, and beat the thieves then had to retreat at the next castle worth Wein's group. Most battles I chose to defend and stay. I also used my magic early on in reach fight trying to clear out soldiers.
I quickly recruited to replenish deceased solders, should I have not done that? Should I only take one castle power turn, if so I was probably too aggressive in that first turn.
How do I determine how things are going, if I'm doing well or on the verge of losing the game?
Oh, thanks for helping this far and helping a beginner.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

I'm in the same boat. I tried this year's ago on a burned copy and was just lost. I cant figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and how to do it. I've stepped up my saturn collecting the last year and picked up a cib copy on ebay for a good deal last week ,and by God, I'm going to figure this mf'er out when it comes in lol.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I started with Wein. I followed the strategy in the back of the manual. I took the castle with one group, and beat the thieves then had to retreat at the next castle worth Wein's group. Most battles I chose to defend and stay. I also used my magic early on in reach fight trying to clear out soldiers.
I quickly recruited to replenish deceased solders, should I have not done that? Should I only take one castle power turn, if so I was probably too aggressive in that first turn.
How do I determine how things are going, if I'm doing well or on the verge of losing the game?
Oh, thanks for helping this far and helping a beginner.

Wein is the cannon story. It is a nice mix of difficulty. That isnt top aggresive to be honest. Make sure you have a full party of generals before going out and that they have a full arsenal of men. If you leave a castle empty, any recruitable reserve units are lost. Early on, i usually keep the outer perimeter of castles fortified with generals and leave the inner ones empty so that I can make pushes forward.

So the overall goal of the game is to take over all of the kingdoms. You do so by simply taking over an opposing kingdoms castles and defeating the king/queen last. There will be story elements and goals for you to achieve along the way, but the early game is domination.

So, to determine if you are going to lose is if your king is going to die. He dies, game over. The opposing AI will never conquer another kingdom entirely as you need to do that to progress story. Your major focus is just chip away at the generals and try to get them to join you. The more, the merrier. You are gonna do great and this is, hands down, the most fun strategy game I have ever played. The replay value is insane as you have all these kingdoms with their own unique storyline and tgere are two other unlockable kingdoms after you beat the game and... again... crazy different experience.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 pm

You mentioned that you can't recruit from empty castles. Can you recruit later if you retreat back to an once empty castle?
Also it seems that if I lose soldiers in battleat one point I will not be able to replenish them. That puts some pressure on how fast I move forward compared to how I started off.
BLOG | BST
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:39 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:You mentioned that you can't recruit from empty castles. Can you recruit later if you retreat back to an once empty castle?
Also it seems that if I lose soldiers in battleat one point I will not be able to replenish them. That puts some pressure on how fast I move forward compared to how I started off.

So if a castle is inhabited by a general, the castle is slowly gaining recruits that you can put into your army. If you leave the castle empty, the recruits are gone. When you lose soldiers in battle, you have to go to a castle and put recruits into your army to fill those gaps. That is why it is good to keep your perimeter castles occupied so that any outgoing armies can come back and replenish quickly and easily. Hope that helps!

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 am

I made it about 1/2 way through the first game, but Pain and Agony kept killing me.
I asked my friend how to deal with Pain and Agony and he said
"Kill yourself"
Do the mechanics change much in the 2nd game?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 am

Anapan wrote:I made it about 1/2 way through the first game, but Pain and Agony kept killing me.
I asked my friend how to deal with Pain and Agony and he said
"Kill yourself"
Do the mechanics change much in the 2nd game?

The sequel is essentially more of the same. The big difference is that you can mix and match unit types in your army. The problem with the game is that it features a darker, muted pallets of browns and greys and that mish mash of units eliminates that rock paper scissors style and leave a combat to be unfulfilling.

I never have issues with Pain and agony, curious to know what the issues were? I usually just moved generals around to address them as they arose.

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am

I didn't give it enough effort is all. I always planned to continue the save game as I had enough generals with good armies but it was pissing me off that those undead guys kept coming back, and the main forces along with goldark (?) it's been many years) were building up their armies too much. I needed to consolidate my forces to take the last few out I think. I regret not watching the twitch that same friend was streaming when he played through it completely finally. Another one of those "bucket list" things - he might even still have my save file on his RAM cart...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Sega