Polishing Front End of Sega CD Model 1

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Polishing Front End of Sega CD Model 1

Post by racketboy »

Awesome! Thanks so much!

I took multiple pictures, but I wish I took more at exactly same angle and lighting.

But as I'm hanging out at my parents house, I kept picking it back up to admire the improvement. It's a nice feeling.

But I will plan on documenting my experience along with other recommendations for the blog so I can pass on the knowledge.

My Sega CD should be due in next week so it will be nice to see the condition in person.

While we're on the subject on Magic Erasers, is there any consoles or materials I shouldn't use it on?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:While we're on the subject on Magic Erasers, is there any consoles or materials I shouldn't use it on?

Think of Magic eraser as a very fine sandpaper sponge, avoid painted surfaces and logos. Also a concern of wiping out a gloss finish or plastic that has a different color casting at the surface vs white plastic underneath.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Perfect. Thank you
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Hey, I saw your Sega CD on that instantaneous telegram service the youngsters are always raving about.

Looks fantastic, racket!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

samsonlonghair wrote:Hey, I saw your Sega CD on that instantaneous telegram service the youngsters are always raving about.

Looks fantastic, racket!

Thank you!
For those interested, here's the set of pictures (swipe to see all)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc-OvZPlo-t ... =racketboy

Yeah I asked about polishing before I decided which model to buy on eBay. This one ended up being in better condition than I expected. There's a few minor marks on it, but fairly pristine. I'm tempted to try to work on the imperfections, but I'm afraid I'd wear down the pristine parts in the process..... thoughts?
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

late here, but that 32X polish job turned out fantastic, good work man! im gonna check my setup at home, i think the biggest problem i have is dust from the cats.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

CRTGAMER wrote:
racketboy wrote:While we're on the subject on Magic Erasers, is there any consoles or materials I shouldn't use it on?

Think of Magic eraser as a very fine sandpaper sponge, avoid painted surfaces and logos. Also a concern of wiping out a gloss finish or plastic that has a different color casting at the surface vs white plastic underneath.

Yeah they are super abrasive. Also be careful with textured surfaces (stuff like NES-N64 cartridges).