SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Nominate Hidden Gems for the Sega Game Gear

by nightrnr Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 am

I guess I better chime in, as I profess to being a fan of the color-screen beast from the 90's.

Dragon Crystal- a rogue-like that was on the Master system, but had better music on GG and is better suited to a handheld anyways (despite the smaller screen area) (also on the Nintendo 3DS store I think)

Baku Baku- Very underrated puzzle game in the same vein as Puyo and Puzzle Fighter; was on the Saturn, but again, well suited to a portable.

Crystal Warriors- has been mentioned, but really is a great little strategy/tactics game

Fantasy Zone-different than the original; not sure if hidden gem or a top game, but overlooked IMO

I 2nd Devilish as a good pick for hidden gem.

Let's see, I really like the Space Invaders game (port of '91?)

Really, I need to dive back into the catalog. There are so many I still need to play just in my collection.
...just another lost soul...
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Sarge wrote:I think the biggest one for me is Defenders of Oasis. I think it's probably the best traditional RPG on the system.

came to post this - not sure how it holds up, but in that era, i thought it was a great RPG on the go. grind-heavy, but that was the era...was just cool to play in a new setting.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:12 am

Anyone tried out Arena: Maze of Death?
I've only sampled it so far, but played a lot longer than I planned (a good sign). Seems like an isometric Doom game (of sorts). I am impressed with it so far.

I want to like Tempo Jr.
Also only sampled it (played past the 1st boss). It seems to be a decent platformer with great animation and fairly imaginative level design, but maybe to simple and easy to be great.
...Have no idea how it compares to it's 32x brother.

I would like to hear other thoughts on those 2.
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:47 am

Tempo Jr. gives me the same feeling as Trip World on Gameboy. Excellent graphics, good control, but more of a tech demo than a challenging or fun game.

Haven't played Arena, so I can't comment. I'll give it a try.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:22 pm

I didn't get that far into Arena but it seemed decent enough, with pretty cool music for the GG. Not quite a gem though.

Only tried Tempo briefly, and it kinda seemed to miss the point of the 32X game but I might try it again.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Return to Sega