SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Nominate Hidden Gems for the Sega Game Gear

by racketboy Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 am

samsonlonghair wrote:I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying here, Racket. Aren't we looking for the minority here? Isn't that what makes them hidden Gems? Maybe I need more sleep. Im not reading your smoke signals, dude.

Sorry -- I mis-read/got confused.... I thought you were talking about ones that were superior to Master System etc. Which now, doesn't make sense.
Oh well :)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:48 am

racketboy wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying here, Racket. Aren't we looking for the minority here? Isn't that what makes them hidden Gems? Maybe I need more sleep. Im not reading your smoke signals, dude.

Sorry -- I mis-read/got confused.... I thought you were talking about ones that were superior to Master System etc. Which now, doesn't make sense.
Oh well :)

It's all good in the neighborhood.

Maybe I was communicating poorly too. I guess what I mean to say is this:

Game Gear lists are always full of games that are better on other consoles. Eff that! :lol: I want to find those rare gems that play BEST on the Game Gear. 8)

Bone has mentioned more than once that there's a Street Fighter II port on C64. That's an interesting tidbit, but you can play SFII on a hundred different devices. Who would willingly choose to play on C64 (other than just to try it out for laughs) when you could play it on better hardware? We certainly wouldn't list Street Fighter II as a hidden gem for C64, would we?

So why list something like Rocket Knight Adventures as a Hidden Gem on Game Gear?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am

samsonlonghair wrote:Game Gear lists are always full of games that are better on other consoles. Eff that! :lol: I want to find those rare gems that play BEST on the Game Gear.

It's true that some of the Game Gear ports play worse on Game Gear. But it's also true that a few of the Game Gear ports were tailored to the hardware efficiently, and were produced differently enough that their Game Gear iteration stands on its own as a unique experience. Ristar GG is a fine example of this. I'm not saying this situation was always the case though.

However, I agree with you that the article should focus on Game Gear exclusives, and Game Gear imports which are hidden gems. Pop Breaker is a great example of that, I've never seen Pop Breaker on any Game Gear list. I found Pop Breaker on my own, beat it, enjoyed it, and wondered why I'd never heard anyone talk about it before. Seeing truly hidden gems on a Game Gear list would be great. It gets tiring seeing Game Gear hidden gem lists full of popular SEGA franchises. I don't care how great the Game Gear Sonic games are, Sonic games are not "hidden". :roll: IMO it makes more sense to see stuff like Royal Stone, Head Buster, or Megami Tensei Gaiden - Last Bible S.

If we must include Sonic related games in the list though, I suggest these:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 am

Exhuminator wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Game Gear lists are always full of games that are better on other consoles. Eff that! :lol: I want to find those rare gems that play BEST on the Game Gear.

It's true that some of the Game Gear ports play worse on Game Gear. But it's also true that a few of the Game Gear ports were tailored to the hardware efficiently, and were produced differently enough that their Game Gear iteration stands on its own as a unique experience. Ristar GG is a fine example of this. I'm not saying this situation was always the case though.

You make a fair point. Sometimes I can be a little bit flippant. Maybe "eff that" was not the most elegant choice of phrasing.

Exhuminator wrote:However, I agree with you that the article should focus on Game Gear exclusives, and Game Gear imports which are hidden gems. Pop Breaker is a great example of that, I've never seen Pop Breaker on any Game Gear list. I found Pop Breaker on my own, beat it, enjoyed it, and wondered why I'd never heard anyone talk about it before. Seeing truly hidden gems on a Game Gear list would be great. It gets tiring seeing Game Gear hidden gem lists full of popular SEGA franchises. I don't care how great the Game Gear Sonic games are, Sonic games are not "hidden".

Pop Breaker is another one I did not know about. Good show, sir!

:idea: I hereby nominate Ex to write the Game Gear Hidden Gems article!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 pm

oh I knew all about Pop Breaker

M I C R O C A B I N
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Anapan wrote:Batman Returns - Surprisingly competent Beat-em-up - I usually avoid movie-games.
Tempo Jr. - Is this underrated/unknown? Fun game anyway.

I thought about throwing that one in, as I recently obtained a copy. I haven't played much, but it seemed quite competent.

EDIT: Gah, deleted the wrong line. I should try out that Batman game, though.
Last edited by Sarge on Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:18 am

Don't really have the motivation to contribute texts this time but I did play a lot of GG some years ago.

Sylvan Tale - Best (and pretty much the only) alternative to Zelda on the GG, has been fan translated
Power Strike II - Different from the SMS game and just as good overall, with some of the best music for the sound chip.
Royal Stone - Sequel to Crystal Warriors IIRC, very impressive presentation and plays just as well. Fan translated.
Puzzle Popils - Very addictive puzzler in the same vein as Pitman/Catrap for GB, by the Bubble Bobble creator IIRC
Kishin Douji Zenki - Pretty ambitious action/platform adventure game with a hub world, fighting sequences, two playable characters, nice graphics and optional routes
Ristar - One new level, some new power ups
GG Aleste - Very beginner friendly shooter with great music
Gunstar Heroes - One new level, pretty impressive port
Star Wars: Super Return of the Jedi - Improved version of the GB game
Jurassic Park - Borderline case for a hidden gem though
Legend of Illusion, Land of Illusion, Aladdin - Pretty much the same as the SMS games but with better graphics thanks to the superior palette
Bubble Bobble - Easier version of the SMS port
Woody Pop - Seems the same as on SMS but not needing the paddle is a plus
Wonder Boy III - While this is a pretty well known game, it isn't mentioned on the site yet and has a bunch of differences to the SMS version. Only big issue is the large sprites make it harder to play as quickly as you'd want to, since you'll run into enemies.

More detailed thoughts on some of these here: http://minirevver.weebly.com/game-gear-reviews.html

Games that I haven't played enough or not in a long time, but which seem good:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie
Factory Panic
Alien Syndrome - Different from the SMS game
Devilish - Also easier than the MD game IIRC
Fatal Fury Special
Lunar: Strolling School
Head Buster
Ninku 2: Tenkuryu-e no Michi
Pengo
Phantasy Star Gaiden