Analyzing the Current Status of Dreamcast Exclusives

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast Exclusives

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'd argue that Code Veronica X invalidates Code Veronica as a Dreamcast exclusive; it may have added stuff, but at its core, it's a port.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I know they're not technically exclusive anymore, but even some of the originals on DC are still better on the DC imo, for a variety of reasons.

For example, Crazy Taxi had its original Bad Religion and Offspring soundtrack torn out of its later ports, as well as the KFC and Pizza Hut licences. I mean, what the fuck? How the hell do you even play Crazy Taxi without Bad Religion or Offspring? That's just madness. I believe the PS2 and GameCube ports retained the music and licences, but they didn't play as well as the DC original (more slowdown and framerate issues), nor were the graphics as sharp.

Jet Set Radio had recent ports and again music and graffiti art were taken out of the game.

Sonic Adventure is better on Dreamcast. The DX port on Gamecube (later also used for PC and the HD versions) bizarrely had textures missing, worse character models and more frequent camera issues. There's even an unofficial fan created mod on the PC version to retain the HD visuals and widescreen, but put the Dreamcast version's character models and the missing textures back in the game.

Regarding Code Veronica X, a fun fact most people don't know is that Code Veronica X was also actually released on the Dreamcast

P.S. One exclusive not mentioned I noticed is Super Runabout.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'd argue that Code Veronica X invalidates Code Veronica as a Dreamcast exclusive; it may have added stuff, but at its core, it's a port.

You're not wrong. It is a bit debatable, but some people swear by the original release over CV X. For a fair few, the added cutscenes change the feel of the game dramatically. I'm a bit on the fence about the original release's exclusiveness, to be honest, but it seems to me like it would be exclusive in a similar way to Resident Evil: Director's Cut being a PS1 exclusive.

Reprise wrote:I know they're not technically exclusive anymore, but even some of the originals on DC are still better on the DC imo, for a variety of reasons.

Totally agree, and I don't like leaving those games out, either, but if we're really just talking about exclusives, they don't fit here, unfortunately. Power Stone 1 & 2 deserve to be in everyone's Dreamcast collection, though.

Reprise wrote:Regarding Code Veronica X, a fun fact most people don't know is that Code Veronica X was also actually released on the Dreamcast

Yeah, that's how I played the game. It's my favorite of the first four RE games. The color contrast in the HD versions is horrendous in comparison to the Dreamcast version, as well.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

This thread is turning out to be great :)

I'll be re-working my old posts around this discussion -- thanks!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

pierrot wrote:
Reprise wrote:Regarding Code Veronica X, a fun fact most people don't know is that Code Veronica X was also actually released on the Dreamcast

Yeah, that's how I played the game. It's my favorite of the first four RE games. The color contrast in the HD versions is horrendous in comparison to the Dreamcast version, as well.

Yeah, I've got CV X on the DC too. For some weird reason I didn't finish that sentence, so for those who don't know, it was released exclusively in the Japan region.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

pierrot wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'd argue that Code Veronica X invalidates Code Veronica as a Dreamcast exclusive; it may have added stuff, but at its core, it's a port.

You're not wrong. It is a bit debatable, but some people swear by the original release over CV X. For a fair few, the added cutscenes change the feel of the game dramatically. I'm a bit on the fence about the original release's exclusiveness, to be honest, but it seems to me like it would be exclusive in a similar way to Resident Evil: Director's Cut being a PS1 exclusive.

Oh, I get it; I'm one of those people who swear by the Dreamcast original. But I'm also one of the folks who don't really count RE Directors Cut as being a separate game. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

One of my personal favorite exclusives that i've most recently devoted some time to. Yoko Kanno's musical score is simply beautiful.
Attachments
NappleTale-by-Karina-Belman.jpg
NappleTale-by-Karina-Belman.jpg (364.68 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Oh I've heard good things about that one (can't remember if I ever played the backup copy...)
I didn't realize it had the tall artwork/case...
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

This isn't actual the box art. Just a promo art piece. The game got a standard jewel case release, at least that is the one I own currently.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: Analyzing the Current Status of Dreamcast Exclusives

Post by IrishNinja »

ive still gotta find Ferrari F35 or whatever (i forgot it was AM2!), but 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker needs to be ported to everything one day

Zombie Revenge too