Best Genesis HD Clone Console?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Best Genesis HD Clone Console?

Post by Reprise »

marurun wrote:Why on earth does Sega keep licensing shit to AtGames? And why hasn't AtGames figured out by now how to emulate these games for shit? Is everyone involved asleep at the wheel?

Hilariously, apparently some hackers/modders have managed to fix what ATGames has failed (or simply has not cared) to do for years...

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/15/two ... io-issues/
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

SpikeSlania wrote:Yeah, sounding like I really should wait for maybe Analogue to take a go at it, if AtGames finally loses it's license. I was debating on the Retron 5, but it's like I'm already getting the SNES Analogue model, I don't collect for the NES, the added Game Gear support sounds interesting but at the same time I have like interests in like maybe 2 games on it? The Tails game and maybe something else that I can't remember. Then I own a GBA SP and the Gameboy Player for the Gamecube, so that module doesn't really interests me on the Retron 5 ether :P So then the question becomes is the Retron 5 good enough to just be used for Sega Games or should I try my luck trying to track down one of those hdmi cables for the genesis and wait it out until Sega lets someone else give the Genesis a better HD Clone.

There is a really good chance that Kevtris will release custom firmware for the Super NT as he did with the NT mini. I'd wager that you'll be able to play Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear games on your Super NT via a SD card within a few days/weeks of release. Since you have already preordered, I'd just wait.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Probably wouldn't mind using Game Gear roms, since I don't ever plan on getting a Game Gear, but then I could actually play the few games that I wouldn't mind trying out like the Tails game and Phantasy Star Gaiden. I just already have a physical collection for the Genesis and Master System and a severe lack of CRT TVs :P Hoping to nab a 4k Samsung tv black friday
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Reprise wrote:
marurun wrote:Why on earth does Sega keep licensing shit to AtGames? And why hasn't AtGames figured out by now how to emulate these games for shit? Is everyone involved asleep at the wheel?

Hilariously, apparently some hackers/modders have managed to fix what ATGames has failed (or simply has not cared) to do for years...

http://www.seganerds.com/2017/08/15/two ... io-issues/

Fascinating story, but this applies to the Standard definition at@games clone, doesn't it? I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the Flashback HD.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

So.... just how good is the RetroN 5 for Genesis games?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

marlowe221 wrote:So.... just how good is the RetroN 5 for Genesis games?

That is a good question. Only thing I know is that it supports the Power Base Converter without a firmware update. I did see there were some issues with the GBA part of the Retron 5 like trying to play any 3D Games (like FPS games made for the GBA) Otherwise I think I did hear people complain about the NES pins messing up. Sadly don't think I ever even hear anyone talk about running Genesis games on it
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

From what I've heard, it was good, then they were forced to change cores and for a while, stuff like Contra: Hard Corps would freeze up in the second level. Don't know if they fixed that or not, I would think so by now.
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

bmoc wrote:
SpikeSlania wrote:Yeah, sounding like I really should wait for maybe Analogue to take a go at it, if AtGames finally loses it's license. I was debating on the Retron 5, but it's like I'm already getting the SNES Analogue model, I don't collect for the NES, the added Game Gear support sounds interesting but at the same time I have like interests in like maybe 2 games on it? The Tails game and maybe something else that I can't remember. Then I own a GBA SP and the Gameboy Player for the Gamecube, so that module doesn't really interests me on the Retron 5 ether :P So then the question becomes is the Retron 5 good enough to just be used for Sega Games or should I try my luck trying to track down one of those hdmi cables for the genesis and wait it out until Sega lets someone else give the Genesis a better HD Clone.

There is a really good chance that Kevtris will release custom firmware for the Super NT as he did with the NT mini. I'd wager that you'll be able to play Genesis, Master System, and Game Gear games on your Super NT via a SD card within a few days/weeks of release. Since you have already preordered, I'd just wait.

Even if he does though you won't be able to pop in your original carts or use Genesis controllers. At that point, why not just use a RP? I know the "emulation" will be better, but that an expensive route to go if you want to play Genesis games.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

It won't cost the OP anything extra. He already preordered one for the SNES functionality. Because he is getting one, I presume he cares about accuracy which it will provide for Genesis as well if Kevtris makes a Genesis core.

If original carts are a priority then the current decent options are Retron 5 and RetroFreak. If you want original controllers then Retron 5 is the way to go. There is also Polymega on the horizon but that will likely be an expensive option if just getting one module.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

UPDATE!

Eta Prime posted a teardown video of the at@games Sega Genesis Flashback HD. Great news: It runs android. I think we all suspected as much, but it's nice to know for sure.
The hardware is a rockchip rk3036. Specs for that chip indicate a Dual-Core Cortex A7 "up to 1.26 GHz" (we don't know yet if it's actually clocked that fast or slower), a Mali-400MP GPU, and DDR3 RAM (Probably 2GB). There is an accessible micro-USB port inside the case. Good hardware altogether, plus we have that cartridge slot, the two 9-pin controller ports, and the Genesis-style case.

Now we just need to replace the terri-bad software. Since this box runs android, we can assume it's only a matter of time until someone hacks it. Huzzah! This hardware with better software would be the best Genesis HD Clone Console.

Link to the original video for reference: https://youtu.be/sIAgzWNhIj4