Best Genesis HD Clone Console?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Best Genesis HD Clone Console?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Didn't the main guy behind KFusion write the PS2 & PSP emus for the Genesis Collections on those platforms? I feel like I recall reading that. Basically... if a single dude can spearhead that, it's likely incompetent programming.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Best Genesis HD Clone Console?

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:Quite frankly, a team of paid developers could probably knock out a quality emulator in not much time, especially given how well-documented these old systems are. Most open-source emulators are hobby projects. They reason they take years is because coding is sporadic. A couple developers being paid should have no trouble getting through an emulation project.
You make a valid point, Maru. They should be able to accomplish this. Maybe these companies are hiring the wrong developers.

Jagosaurus wrote:Didn't the main guy behind KFusion write the PS2 & PSP emus for the Genesis Collections on those platforms? I feel like I recall reading that. Basically... if a single dude can spearhead that, it's likely incompetent programming.

Interesting point, Jag. Kega Fusion is my favorite emulator of all time. The guy behind Kega Fusion goes by the name Steve Snake online. Steve Snake is an example of an enthusiast who spent years refining his craft of emulating Sega hardware. He released his first version of KGen twenty years ago. When a commercial business pays someone like Steve Snake to port their emulator to another platform, the results are tremendous! But that's only because Steve Snake spent years and years learning the ins and outs of emulating Sega hardware. For what it's worth, I would feel overjoyed if at@games hired Steve Snake to port Kega Fusion to their hardware.

Let me tell you an anecdote: I once met a potter who was demonstrating his skills. I saw him throw raw clay on a potters wheel. Within a matter of seconds he molded that clay into a beautiful bowl. I couldn't help but comment on his speed, "I never knew you could throw pottery so fast!" He looked over at me with a smirk. The potter said to me, "It took me twenty years to throw this bowl. You didn't see the first ten thousand bowls I practiced on."

In other words when a person pours years of love into making something, they can make extraordinary results. It's not always something that's profitable within the cycles of the business calendar though. A company has to post a profit in time for their quarterly review after all.