Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
liquid
8-bit

Re: Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

Post by liquid »

To actually answer the question, in my experience the PS Vita with custom firmware is the *best* way. You have to get one on the right firmware and jump through hoops to get there.

Android devices tend to have more than enough power and the emulators are numerous & actively updated. Depending on your local market this may be the cheapest way to do it. There is definitely scope for frustration in working out the best apps, getting roms+bioses on the device, getting a gamepad working, maybe rooting the device etc.

All the chinese handhelds I used were let down by build quality and ergonomics. Poor d-pads and shoulder buttons were common. They are normally the easiest to set up though, and they are often cheap.

I also had a PSP Go and honestly it was a letdown for emulating in the broader sense. It has some very decent games in its own library plus you get the whole of the PS1 library storage (space permitting). But all the other emulators generally were 'okay'. The SNES ones I never got on with, so used a GBA emulator with all the SNES remakes at lower resolution. That said the PSP has a ton of apologists online so perhaps the emulators improved at some stage.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

liquid wrote:That said the PSP has a ton of apologists online so perhaps the emulators improved at some stage.

Those interested in emulation on PSP should check this page out:

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Emulation_on_PSP

However, anyone who says the PSP is good for SNES emulation, is either an apologist in denial, or ignorant of proper emulation.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ex, your gamepad you use with your Android device. What's the maximum height of the clip that holds the android device? I have a 7" tablet that's 4.5" wide, but I can never find exact measurements for the max holding height of the clips on various gamepads.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:Ex, your gamepad you use with your Android device. What's the maximum height of the clip that holds the android device?.

I just measured it, and it stretches 3.25" high at max. I don't think that will fit a tablet, but it's good for large phones. The clip is spring loaded, and holds my Droid Turbo 2 (which has a 5.4" screen) perfectly well. The controller is good enough that I prefer playing NES through PS1 era games on my phone now. (That's how I beat Star Fox 2 recently actually.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am desperately trying to find a controller with a clip that will hold my tablet. I don't have an Android phone and I don't want one. But I have the tablet, and it's powerful enough to emulate most of what I would want to with it. But I can't play it on the couch unless I can hold it. There's an iPega controller that snaps on to either end that's like $25. I'm considering that. It would allow me to get my Genesis on.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:I am desperately trying to find a controller with a clip that will hold my tablet.

In that case you're probably going need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/IPEGA-Telescopic ... 00RE6FMD8/

Maybe that's the one you were talking about. I haven't used any clip-on tablet controllers, so I can't personally endorse any for you.

-

As for the controller I use, looks like there's been an updated release of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Android-Bluetoot ... 01N0QOZ31/

I'll probably buy that version as a backup soon.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, the first one is what I'm looking at. Seems all these controllers have mixed reviews. I guess you just have to hope the one you get isn't one of the bad ones. I imagine at these costs the QC isn't the greatest.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:I guess you just have to hope the one you get isn't one of the bad ones.

After a little more spelunking, I found a tablet controller made by BEBONCOOL:

Red: https://www.amazon.com/BEBONCOOL-Blueto ... 01CSEB1HQ/

Blue: https://www.amazon.com/BEBONCOOL-Blueto ... 01FCSUCDO/

That's the same company that made the controller I'm using. Everyone I know who uses BEBONCOOL controllers has had good luck with them, myself included. So if I were to recommend one, it'd be that.

Looking forward to you joining the Android emulation master race. :wink:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I didn't see those models when I was browsing a couple weeks ago. $40 is a little steep, so I'll have to keep them on the back-burner for a bit. After the SNES Classic Mini I think I burned through my fun money until November.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile