Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

Post by noiseredux »

there's also that Sega service on Android now that let's you play Genesis game for free. I don't know about how many games are available yet, but I know Phantasy Star II was one of them.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My understanding, based on reading reviews of that service, is that it was developed in Unity, thus the emulator has very poor performance. Probably not a good solution from the perspective of accuracy or quality.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

What you're thinking of is Android and also iOS to -- Sega Forever
http://forever.sega.com/

I forgot about it, was planning to try it out.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I've heard that it actually made previously purchased emulated games worse.

I have a couple of ways that have probably already been covered:

1) If you have a PSP, mod it and put PicoDrive on there. Full speed emulation and really good compatibility.
2) If you already have a decent Android phone, buy MD.emu. It's a very good and full-featured emulator that also does Sega CD, although it doesn't run Lunar: Eternal Blue properly. Get RetroArch for that. If you can't grok touch controls (and I can't for action games), then get a MOGA controller. They make a smaller one, but I'd go with a larger model with a good d-pad. The controller Exhuminator linked probably will work quite well, and looks like it's a good bit cheaper.
3) Along the lines of the first option, if you have a Vita and are okay with modding, install Henkaku Enso. This will only work if you're on firmware version 3.60. Genesis Plus GX is on there, and of course RetroArch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I have since switched to an iPhone, but I have my old Nexus 4 -- would that hold up well to emulators for 16-bit and earlier? (ok maybe 32X too?)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would be very surprised if it couldn't handle things full speed. I'd try downloading SNES9x EX+ or EX and see how it runs, they're both free.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I had their older Nexus7 which was before that 4 and it ran SNES9EXPlus or whatever it's called just fine and due to quirks with the SNES it takes a bit more overhead than Genesis to run right -- you'll be fine. I also ran an NES(nestopia I think) emulator on there too and it was smooth.

And those Sega Forever games you're right they reviewed like garbage when it first came out, but I've read they reworked/updated the emulator and got the Genesis stuff working correctly. They did pull their line-up intended for Saturn and Dreamcast due to big framerate problems, but did eek out Virtua Tennis for DC because it didn't have that issue (probably since tennis stayed on a static screen or something.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

On Android I've used NES, SNES, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Master System, Game Gear, and Playstation emulators and they all work perfect. Sarge is right that a MOGA is a great controller. The only reason I bought the one I did, is because the d-pad is more accessible than the thumbstick. For retro games I think that's ideal.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I use this controller, different version of Beboncool brand recommended earlier:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8 ... psc=1&th=1

It holds my smaller Motorola & my large Samsung Note. I recommend standard bluetooth over MOGA.

I've only really focused on Retroarch, but have read pretty much everywhere the $5 for md.emu gives you the best Genesis emu experience on Android. Done mostly NES on Android myself thus far, but plan on ponying up 5 bucks when I get the urge for some Shining Force II with save states.

Keep in mind, you can quickly use a HDMI adapter to have the portable turned to TV experience when paired to a Bluetooth controller. I was surprised I saw no noticeable lag on my setup when doing this.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
liquid
8-bit

Post by liquid »

Don't know if this is of use but it was certainly the case a couple years ago: Many of the Sony Xperia phones/tablets have native PS3+PS4 controller support. This was a major reason for me choosing the Z3 back then, because I'd had some truly frustrating times with Android + gamepads.

I later smashed the screen on that phone and once you do that on a Z3 it's basically fubar. So I only have my memory to go on.

--EDIT--
I am told that they dropped DS3 bluetooth support from Android 6 onward. So the Z3 worked fine, but Z3+ and Z4 onwards you either needed a DS4 or a plugged-in DS3.