Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marurun

Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

Post by marurun »

So, I'm thinking I'd like to start trying to play some Genesis games portably, since I simply don't have time to sit down in front of a TV. I'd like to tackle some stuff, especially RPGs that I haven't had time for, in a way I can just do while sitting on the couch with the TV on in short spurts. That requires portable, convenient, with save states. What are some of the options available to folks these days for that?

I think we should list multiple options here, and specify things like, this is a cheap way to do that, this is a really easy way to do that, or this is the best quality way to do that. Folks like me can then look at our available resources and decide based on what our own parameters are.

Thanks for the help, peeps.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Cheapest/best/easiest way to play Genesis games portably

Post by racketboy »

I'm interested in this topic too.

Can we add "coolness" in as a factor too? Like if a modded Nomad or something would be worth considered.
Obviously no save states on a Nomad though...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

The best way is neither the easiest nor cheapest because the best way is, as Nick said, the Nomad. All other ways are inferior.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:The best way is neither the easiest nor cheapest because the best way is, as Nick said, the Nomad. All other ways are inferior.

Not the best unless you mod the shit out of it to add a screen and a better battery. But that aside, what OTHER options are available?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Outside of PC emulation I'm clueless on the topic....

But Genesis you say? Snag Sega Genesis Collection for PSP. It'll give you instant access to a bunch of games (like all the Genesis Phantasy Star titles), and yes there are save states.

Sometimes I think about configuring emulators on my PSP, tablet, whatever, but then I remember how many original handheld titles and compilations already exist and I lose interest quickly.
marurun

Post by marurun »

How is the emulation quality on the PSP Genesis Collection?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I haven't had issues. I've played through Phantasy Star IV, among others.

I'm also not the most tech savvy guy.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Genesis Emulation is easy to set up on Android handhelds (almost as easy as on PC), but the touchscreen controls are as terrible as you would expect. This may not matter to someone playing RPGs; don't try to play Gunstar Heroes with a touchscreen.

I had an Android with a QWERTY keypad a few years ago. I tried emulating on that too, but the QWERTY keypad was an unsatisfying substitute for a real D-Pad.

You can sync most bluetooth controllers with Android, but then you have to awkwardly combine a separate controller with your phone. There are clips that purport to do this job, but they don't fit every size android device or every single game controller. There are purpose-built third party controllers (moga etcetera) made to fill this niche, but the reviews aren't stellar.

There are a few Android devices built with real D-pads and gaming in mind. Google the JXD line and the original SONY Xperia Play. These vary wildly in quality, so check the reviews.

Altogether, Genesis emulation on Android is a series of compromises one way or another.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Portable emulation for me these days is all about my Android smartphone (currently a Droid Turbo 2).

If you're playing turn-based RPGs/SRPGs, then touch screen controls are a non-issue.

For realtime games which require quick reflexes, ever since I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8 ... UTF8&psc=1

+

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q ... UTF8&psc=1

I've had no problems. Perfect emulation with all the bells and whistles, and controls which are adequate for twitch gaming.

If you decide to go the Android route, I can recommend some emulators.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Admittedly, I have not tried the controller and clip combo that Exhuminator recommends. It's possible that he has found the ideal solution that I never could. If so, more power to him!

I would certainly agree that the emulation for android is just about perfect, second only to PC. No problems on the software side of things at all. Emulators are easy to install and configure, not just for Genesis, but for any 8-bit or 16-bit platform I can name.