Happy birthday dreamcast 9/9/99

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mas
Next-Gen

Happy birthday dreamcast 9/9/99

Post by mas »

18 years ago I launched the sega dreamcast at my funcoland. It was this site I went looking for dreamcast and reviews of sega dreamcast and accessories and tidbits of the dreamcast.

Please if anyone wants to share memories or stories or their collection he'll even when and where they got their system.

My first was at my retro store for I think 50.00. I was into saturn then I saw NFL 2k2 and street fighter 3rd strike and I was set.

I've had it numerous times and my last big collection I sold off to people here like mjmj25, blu, noisederux, and a couple of others. Miss my old games and arcade sticks. Will I get everything back ?, no but I'm happy with what my brother in law gave me so tomorrow I'm playing virtua tennis, and soul calibur and crazy taxi
Last edited by mas on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Happy birthday dreamcast 9/9/99

Post by Reprise »

Damn, another year gone. Happy Birthday, bro. It seems like only last year that I first met you. I can't believe it's been 17 years since I bought mine.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I love that this system came out 3 days before my birthday, was the best time for a 16 year old me. Happy Birthday old buddy! You graced me with one of my all time passions, Shenmue, got me hooked on rhythm games with samba de amigo, taught me to fly as a sky pirate and so much more. Here is to the continued love of the little system that could... so far ahead of its time!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Dreamcast will be legal next year :lol:

The console was how I found this website. My name is obviously based on the console.

My fondest memories were around the two Sonic Adventures and the Chao with the VMUs. I used to battle with my friends with the Chao we raised. Phantasy Star Online was another fond memory with countless hours of gaming. And lastly was Jet Grind Radio. Such a great game. I used to sit there for hours trying to collect and unlock all of the tags. The music was top notch as well.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

There are a handful of Dreamcast games I'd still like to beat. I have a Dreamcast packed away in a closet, but I don't particularly feel like unpacking it and setting it up. What I wish for is a truly great Dreamcast emulator. Something the world sadly still doesn't have.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

This system is an obsession of mine. I have DC stuff everywhere in this place. In STO I named my ship Dreamcast. My Watch is a DC watch. I keep one of them hooked up with my HD systems. DC was a turning point for me in gaming and a big reason I look back so fondly.

What is really funny is Stolar was the genius with his marketing for DC. Do you know of any console where the date is remembered so easily? The funny thing is it was only the US launch. Dreamcast launched in Japan a year earlier in 1998. I know the DC ultimately failed, but the lead up to the launch of the DC is easily one of the most hyped up machines ever. I think everyone felt SEGA was back and was going to lead the way into the 21st century. SEGA wasn't just leading with a new console but something that at the time looked sleek white and graphics that bested arcades and could run PC games fairly well. Xbox gets a lot of credit for that but Win CE in DC and DC used Direct X. Halo was close to being a DC title. We all know about online. Many more ways DC led the way. Luck would have it on SEGA for all they did right the thing they did wrong was it's worst mistake. GD ROM. Gah, I will stop I could go on forever. To this day I have never seen a console feel like it was leading us into a new era like DC. The closest we ever came to a DC successor is Xbox 360.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

The Dreamcast is the only console I pre-ordered and got on launch day. My first game was Sonic Adventure, and it completely blew me away. I also has a subscription to the Official Dreamcast Magazine which was my favorite gaming magazine!

I started playing Grandia II last week and it got me thinking about how I generally play Dreamcast less than my other retro consoles.

It made me realize there are a few aspects to the DC that aged poorly: the option for a VGA connection was a godsend when I was in high school. I had a setup in my bedroom with a big CRT monitor and a all-in-one stereo-system for audio. Games looked *so* good. But that's a really awkward setup for me at the moment (my space has other uses) and so I'm using composite video instead, which is super-ugly by comparison. But even if I had a VGA-setup, it's a bit of a pain that some games aren't compatible with it, so you'd have to switch to something else. I wish I had the option to play with component video.
Then there's the built-in modem, which I thought was AWESOME. But it's a serious hassle to play online in 2017. I want to play Phantasy Star Online again, but don't want to buy an expensive high-speed-internet peripheral and jump through a bunch of hoops to do it.
The controller is great for 3D games, but honestly I think it's lackluster for 2D. This is the reason I don't own any Street Fighter games for DC: the controller's just not good for that.

But now I sound way too negative! The Dreamcast was great! Jet Grind Radio is a game that especially sticks out as something I think about today, that shaped my sense of aesthetics, with a soundtrack that's second only to Jet Set Radio Future! It let me play once PS1-exclusive games I hadn't been able to previously, like Dino Crisis and Resident Evil 2! I could play just about arcade-perfect ports on the Midway Classic Collections! It's the home for oddball titles like Typing of the Dead and Seaman! VMU minigames! Jojo's Bizarre Adventure before it was a big thing! Chu Chu Rocket! Shenmue! Skies of Arcadia!
The Dreamcast had so many classics that I loved dearly and played heavily in my teenage years! Man, I love that thing.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Just played dreamcast most of the day. Unlocked everything in soul calibur, wanted to go and buy gauntlet legends but 18.00 disc only is a bad price for me.

I really need to get someone to burn disc for me. I gave my buddy all my burned disc copies and now that I spent all day would rather play back ups then spend money on actual games. I know it's bad but at my budget it's all I can do for now
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I didn't get a chance to play any Dreamcast yesterday, but I did play Shenmue last weekend, as I'm replaying through the two games (for about millionth time) in preparation for Shenmue 3 next year :D
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Segata wrote:My Watch is a DC watch.

I'm into watches. Do you have an image of that watch? I'm curious in knowing what it looks like.