SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

Maybe better fit for a hidden gems article?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 pm

alienjesus wrote:Ninja Gaiden didn't really define the SMS, it's not even that well known now.

I agree Cyber Shinobi sucks, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is also kinda unknown. If I were to include it, I'd include it with Alex Kidd rather than with Shinobi.

I'd only include the original Shinobi game for SMS as a defining title.

But Ecco did? :P At least the people who played NG liked it. I'm fine with it being in a HG article instead though.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Ninja Gaiden didn't really define the SMS, it's not even that well known now.

I agree Cyber Shinobi sucks, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is also kinda unknown. If I were to include it, I'd include it with Alex Kidd rather than with Shinobi.

I'd only include the original Shinobi game for SMS as a defining title.

But Ecco did? :P At least the people who played NG liked it. I'm fine with it being in a HG article instead though.

No, but 16 bit ports as a whole were the defining games for the console from about 1992 onwards over here in Europe. They were the main thing coming to the console, and if you looked in catalgoues at the time the game line-up being sold for Master System was the popular stuff for Mega Drive and Arcades. Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Ecco. Defining doesn't mean good, it means representative, what people think of when they think of the system's lifespan. A game doesn't need to be good to be defining! See: Pac-Man for Atari 2600 or the entirety of the CDi game library!

Ninja Gaiden was never a game that was well known for the console amongst the public at any time in it's life span, even over here in Europe where the system was popular. Hell, Ninja Gaiden on the NES wasn't even called Ninja Gaiden here - it was called Shadow Warriors. Most people in Europe, the only region Ninja Gaiden was released for Master System mind, probably didn't know the game was in the same series because it had a different name to the NES entry in the franchise!
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Good is part of it in this case, I don't recall any of the articles here mentioning disliked games just because they are well known or were popular at the time (and Ecco isn't that well known for SMS other than as a worse/budget alternative). They basically list the popular games from back then that still hold up.

I can't speak for the rest of europe, and the SMS was much less popular than the NES in Sweden, but nobody really talked about either Ecco or NG on SMS over here. Ecco isn't on the sega8bit top 100 poll I linked to (which isn't representative but among the better sources we have), and NG is somewhat low but at least well liked there. As I said I'm fine with NG being a hidden gem entry though, I could've said that in my first post mentioning it but the earlier post that I put some time into was ignored and I didn't think the second one would be criticized.

This also gives an idea though it's US based: https://www.gamefaqs.com/games/rankings ... in_votes=1
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:50 am

I just love the master system. I'm still trying to collect the us library and I know I have some pal games that were also for the us. I know it's kind of cheating but I don't mind since I only collect cartridge and that's it.
The only pace I see Master System games is eBay. No other place besides maybe one store but the only have monopoly. eBay is the only place I can shop. No one here or other sites sell master system games because no one really had it.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:00 am

I think Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar is a good contender for a hidden gem.
I rarely see people talk about it online but It's really a fantastic port of the PC game. The biggest difference is that the dungeons are overhead instead of first-person and the controls have been simplified for a controller rather than a keyboard. Both are welcome changes IMO! It still feels more like a 1980s PC game than anything else and provides a pretty great experience.

I don't *think* it ever got a US release, I've only seen PAL versions.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:53 am

The game that defines the Master System to me is Double Dragon. This is where Sega stood apart from Nintendo to deliver on the promise of the arcade experience at home.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

I'd love to have some better perspective and wording for the Astrerix, Disney titles and other stuff that didn't affect us in the States.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:24 pm

racketboy wrote:Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

I'd love to have some better perspective and wording for the Astrerix, Disney titles and other stuff that didn't affect us in the States.

Sorry, I know I was meant to help with this. I promise I will input on this tomorrow! I'll set a reminder and everything!
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:25 pm

alienjesus wrote:
racketboy wrote:Does anyone else from Europe want to help out on the Google Doc for this piece?

Sorry, I know I was meant to help with this. I promise I will input on this tomorrow! I'll set a reminder and everything!

Haha! No worries -- I figured you had a lot going on -- it happens :)
Thanks for the follow-up!

I tried to work on a lot of your suggestions, so feel free to give it a fresh-look over too!
Return to Sega