Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

Post by racketboy »

Blu suggested we revisit the Games That Defined the Sega Master System and has begin on edits and changes
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sms ... ter-system

I've taken his revised list as added a few suggestions and notes to see if anyone else wants to chime in on this. Also, if anyone is big SMS fan and wants to help us flesh this guide out, please let me know.

Main Titles
Phantasy Star
Wonder Boy
Alex Kidd
Fantasy Zone
3D Games
Arcade Ports
Golden Axe Warrior
Psycho Fox
Sonic the Hedgehog
Maybe: Shinobi Series? W/ Alex Kid in Shinobi World and Cyber Shinobi (non-US)

Honorable Mentions
Astro Warrior
Safari Hunt
Snail Maze
Ya: The Vanished Omens
Zillion
Golden Axe(?)

Not Sure/Hidden Gems?. - I just realized we don't have a SMS Hidden Gems guide(!)
Asterix
King's Quest

Additional PAL Games (Ports from Game Gear)
Sonic Chaos
Streets of Rage
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:Blu suggested we revisit the Games That Defined the Sega Master System and has begin on edits and changes
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sms ... ter-system

I've taken his revised list as added a few suggestions and notes to see if anyone else wants to chime in on this. Also, if anyone is big SMS fan and wants to help us flesh this guide out, please let me know.

Main Titles
Phantasy Star
Wonder Boy
Alex Kidd
Fantasy Zone
3D Games
Arcade Ports
Golden Axe Warrior
Psycho Fox
Sonic the Hedgehog
Maybe: Shinobi Series? W/ Alex Kid in Shinobi World and Cyber Shinobi (non-US)

Honorable Mentions
Astro Warrior
Safari Hunt
Snail Maze
Ya: The Vanished Omens
Zillion
Golden Axe(?)

Not Sure/Hidden Gems?. - I just realized we don't have a SMS Hidden Gems guide(!)
Asterix
King's Quest

Additional PAL Games (Ports from Game Gear)
Sonic Chaos
Streets of Rage

Shinobi is definitely a big deal on SMS, probably more so than Psycho Fox. I could definitely help somewhat on an SMS hidden gems guide when we get to that.

The Disney games should be listed as defining titles too imo - Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion and Lucky Dim Caper are big name games for the system. Castle of Illusion is a different game to the mega drive title too.

I know the site is more US-centric, but defining titles for the system in Europe would include '8-bit conversions'. Stuff like Ecco, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe were major releases for the system in Europe in the 90s, where it was still comparatively popular as a budget console here.

Asterix is a pretty defining game for the SMS in Europe. Arcade ports feels too varied though - I assume we're talking OutRun, After Burner, Space Harrier? But Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story were pretty notable titles for the system too.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Awesome -- good info!

What would you say the very top 3 games for the system were? If we're going to put them up top and put more text on them, that would help.

Thanks!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Yeah I think the Disney games, especially Castle of Illusion and Land of Illusion, are more defining than 8-bit Sonic for the system.

Golvellius, Kenseiden, Master of Darkness and R-Type should get an honorable mention at least.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

racketboy wrote:Awesome -- good info!

What would you say the very top 3 games for the system were? If we're going to put them up top and put more text on them, that would help.

Thanks!

That's a tough one.

If you were to look at it retrospectively, I'd say it's probably Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy, with Sonic being a close contender.

Back when it was current, it depends when you were talking in its life span. In the early parts of its life, it'd be Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Shinobi. Later on, Sonic the Hedgehog for sure. The system may have been short lived in the US, but it was still on the market in the UK until the mid 90s.

Quality wise, the Wonder Boy series, Phantasy Star and Sonic are probably the best. Alex Kidd in Miracle World is fantastic, but the rest of the series is pretty mediocre, with the exception of Shinobi World which is more of a hidden gem really.

Yeah I think the Disney games, especially Castle of Illusion and Land of Illusion, are more defining than 8-bit Sonic for the system.

Golvellius, Kenseiden, Master of Darkness and R-Type should get an honorable mention at least.

Maybe in the US, but Sonic was a big deal for the system over here. Everyone had it. It was even built in to later SMS2 units iirc, replacing Alex Kidd in Miracle World as the built in title. I still think the Disney titles were important though.

I think Golvellius, Kenseiden and Master of Darkness are more like hidden gems personally.

R-Type I could see an argument for appearing on the list though!
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I think it's so amazing, and tragic that we didn't get those Disney games on the SMS in the US. However, I grew up with Lucky Dime Caper and Castle of Illusion on the Game Gear and I'd rate them highly. We should include them. I was looking at the Alexa rankings for Racketboy, and we rank pretty highly in the UK, so I think the addition of some European perspectives would benefit this article (and the site) well.

My top three are:

1. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Phantasy Star
(Honorable Mentions: Astro Warrior, Outrun, and Zillion)

I'm biased but I love the amount of quality Shmups on Sega Master System. Perhaps that's another article we could weigh in on:

Power Strike 1 (Aleste)
Power Strike 2 (Aleste)
Astro Warrior
Bomber Raid
Scramble Spirits
R-Type
Xenon 2
Cloud Master
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone 2
Forgotten Worlds
Sagaia
Aerial Assault
Global Defense (SDI)
Submarine Attack

Of those, Forgotten Worlds, Xenon 2, Sagaia, and Submarine Attack are the only ones I don't have experience with, as they were never released here.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I would LOVE a shmup post.
Ultimately, I'd like to have a Shmup guide for every platform that has a solid showing.
The NES would be a fun one too and we have a TG16 one half-done. I think I might have a SNES draft started somewhere too.
I think I may need to start a new thread on the forum for this shmup stuff ;)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

alienjesus wrote:Maybe in the US, but Sonic was a big deal for the system over here. Everyone had it. It was even built in to later SMS2 units iirc, replacing Alex Kidd in Miracle World as the built in title. I still think the Disney titles were important though.

I think Golvellius, Kenseiden and Master of Darkness are more like hidden gems personally.

R-Type I could see an argument for appearing on the list though!

I forgot you guys had built in Sonic units. Land of Illusion was never released here (except on Game Gear) though I think it's one of the best, if not the best platformer on the system.

Blu wrote:My top three are:

1. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Phantasy Star
(Honorable Mentions: Astro Warrior, Outrun, and Zillion)

Hard to argue with that, though I like Fantasy Zone 2 more than the port of the first. Wonder Boy III is without a doubt my number 1.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Where is golden axe warrior. It's the legend of Zelda on the master system
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

mas wrote:Where is golden axe warrior. It's the legend of Zelda on the master system

It's on the main list :wink: